box turtle temp...blind

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
xVBBB Girlx
Level 3
Level 3

ok i have an ornate box turtle and he wont open his eyes i called the vet 57 dollars to just look at him outt he question i have some repti eye was/flush stuff but it says nothing about opening inflamed eyes na di thiink its just for aquatics does anyone know anyway to get his eyes open, any drops i could try.....i warmed up his tank and i soaked him in warm water.....so now what?
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

i read a lot about using human eye drops..just make sure it suits turtles too..hope he gets well soon
stunt pogoer
Level 3
Level 3

what i would do is go to the store to buy normal eye drops, the ones that are made for humans. i dont know about getting his eyes open, i would say put these drops on his eyes when they are closed, and he might come to his senses to open them. talk to me on my s/n: stunt pogoer
xVBBB Girlx
Level 3
Level 3

arg. i have tried that he hasent open them, and on aim or msn?
Jericho199
Level 3
Level 3

COuld be a couple things. First, make sure he isn\'t too cold. I believe their basking area should be about 85 degrees and non basking areas should be about 70.

If his eyes are inflamed it might be a vitamin A deficiency. If this is the case, Zoo Med makes a vitamin A eyedrop for turtles. You can get it at Petsmart. When I got my baby RES, his eyes were inflamed and he was rubbing them all the time. I used these eyedrops and they helped clear it up in about a week.

I\'ve also used them on a Red-footed tortise who seemed to have trouble opening one of his eyes (appearently it\'s a common problem with the species. Gunky eyes or something). Although his eyes weren\'t inflamed at all.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

nothing is cured that fast..wait a while b4 u see the results
  • Information