Is Sunlight Best?

Post any questions you have about a turtle indoor setup here. Or if you have a link to your indoor setup picture we would love to see it.
lkitsch
Level 1
Level 1

I met someone from the CA Turtle and Tortoise Club, who said that even the best indoor aquarium and UV light cannot substitute for outdoor direct sunlight. That\'s why she says that RES\'s should only be in ponds. What do you all think of that?
Boogie
Level 2
Level 2

Ponds are great IF you have the resources for it. But most of us don\'t, and aquariums are sufficient for raising RESs as pets. And even if you did have a pond, how would you keep it heated when the water temp drops to 30 degrees at night in the winter?
GlennThiltgen
Level 3
Level 3

CA Turtle club, I\'m not real sure if the temp actually does drop down to 30, they can try and freeze there turtles to death if they\'d like but as for me I\'m goin for indoor.

-Glenn Thiltgen
l8or g8or

Nothing can ever substitute for the real thing, but we can come real close - especially with the new active bulbs that are out. -

http://www.tortoisetrust.org/articles/lighting.html
ntroche
Level 1
Level 1

My vet told me that some sunlight should be used. We live in NYC, so we can place our RES \"Petty\" out on the fire escape for a few hours. I was told to use a big-plastic storage space container (the Martha steward kind that goes under the bed) and tilt it so water is on one side, and on the \"land\" side provide Pettie with a small clay plant pot for shade. He also warmed against doing it during the winter/cold days.
lulumac1
Level 3
Level 3

I\'ve read several places thats its a good idea to let your turtle get natural light form time to time. For example taking them outside for 30 minutes to an hour every once in a while. It should be outside, and not inside behind glass though. Most glass blocks uvb light, so it doesn\'t do much good.
  • Information