proud owner of 2 new baby turtles...

Discussions about turtles.
NeoZeRo35

hi everyone. my friend just gave me two red ear sliders for my b-day this past week and i\'ve been doing as much research as a can to take good care of them. i just have a couple of questions though.

1. there is currently a plastic glass between my turtles and my light bulb. does that filter the uv that they need?

2. i know it takes time and money to take care of a turtle, but is it that much harder to take care of 2?

thanks in advance...and i love my turtles!
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

1. According to some posts, yes, the plexiglass will diminish the UV from your turtles, depending on whether your bulb is UV rated or not, if it is a regular bulb I don\'t think it will matter, although there is the heat thing, it tends to melt plastic.:D

2. It is not that expensive, depending on what you are willing to buy your turtles, most of the time you will be looking to see what else you can buy your turtles, not that they need it.:D, they pretty much have simple needs, good care, love, a place to swim, a place to sun themselves (this is where the UV bulb play its part), and good stuff to eat, the question of what they bask on and what they eat is up to you, since they can\'t go to the store themselves.:D Good luck with your turtles, awaiting pictures.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

first of all happy birthday:)
and second,,welcome to the board..RES\'s are the greatest turtles..actually all sliders in general are the best
and don\'t worry..what fits one would fit two,,they can always share
newturtle

I just recently purchased two red ear sliders and a map turtle for my son for christmas. I don\'t know what I am really getting myself into.
*I would like to know how many turtles can be in the same tank ( i purchased 4.5 gal)
*how much do they eat?
*I am worried about the water level
Any help would be great on how to set up this tank I want what is best for them .
*Do I need a filter the water seems dirty?
HELP!!!!
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

newturtle wrote:
I just recently purchased two red ear sliders and a map turtle for my son for christmas. I don\'t know what I am really getting myself into.
*I would like to know how many turtles can be in the same tank ( i purchased 4.5 gal)
*how much do they eat?
*I am worried about the water level
Any help would be great on how to set up this tank I want what is best for them .
*Do I need a filter the water seems dirty?
HELP!!!!
map turtle care: http://www.chelonia.org/Articles/graptemyscare.htm
red eared slider care: http://www.chelonia.org/Articles/trachemyscare.htm
O.k. here we go:D:

1.**I would like to know how many turtles can be in the same tank ( i purchased 4.5 gal)**http://www.allturtles.com/setup/indoorWT.php http://www.turtlecare.net/softill.htm

2.**how much do they eat?** http://www.turtlecare.net/food.htm http://www.turtlecare.net/NoFood.htm

3.**I am worried about the water level
Any help would be great on how to set up this tank I want what is best for them .** \"Selection of an appropriately-sized tank is one of the most important elements in successful turtle-keeping. The aquarium must be large enough to give the turtle adequate swimming room in both length and depth. I consider a 20 gallon aquarium to be a minimum size, but bigger is always better. Only juvenile turtles should be kept in smaller aquariums, and they will outgrow them, so you might as well start with a bigger tank and save yourself money! So-called \"long\" or \"breeder\" tanks are usually better investments than \"high\" aquariums, as they provide a larger surface area for your animals. The water level should be deeper than the turtle is wide - if the water is shallower and the turtle manages to land upside-down in the water it may not be able to flip back over and will drown. Also there should be no place underwater in the tank where the turtle could get wedged in such a way that it cannot get to the surface to breathe. So, for these reasons and for the happiness of the turtle, larger aquariums are definitely better.\" (copied from this webpage: http://www.unc.edu/~dtkirkpa/stuff/tanks.html )

4.**Do I need a filter the water seems dirty?** http://www.turtlecare.net/water.htm http://www.turtlecare.net/filtration.htm

I hope this helps:D send some pics as soon as you can.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

welcome to the board:) i personally love sliders and i\'m sure u\'ll love all those turtles once they get used to u..they are fun to watch and play with:)

Q) I would like to know how many turtles can be in the same tank ( i purchased 4.5 gal)?

A) depending on their sizes..10 gallons/1 inch,,add their lengths and u\'ll know what is best for them
=============================
Q) *how much do they eat?

A) also depending on how old they are..hatchlings eat twice a day..as they get older u will have to reduce their meal times to once a day and then once every other day..a good thing to do is keep some water plants or any green leaves in there so they would eat it if they starve..and u can adjust the quantity in that way
================================

Q) am worried about the water level

A) turtles like to swim so the deeper the better but not for hatchlings since they may still not know how to swim well and might drown
==================================

Q)Do I need a filter the water seems dirty?

A) u will need a filter if ur not planning to change the water at least once every day

i hope this helps + stray\'s websites..now my turn for q\'s:D

Q) what r their names?
Q) can u post pix of them and/or the setup? this might help

enjoy ur turtles:)
Razor_Reptile

a 4.5 Gallon tank is much to small for the Turtles when they grow larger. And you are lucky to have those two baby turtles because in most states it is illegal to sell turtles until their carapace (shell) measures at least 4 inches. Some places will \"GIVE\" them to you if you buy a kit. The kit is overpriced to cover the cost of the turtle so technically they aren\'t selling the turtle...they are giving it away. I would suggest that you get atleast a 10 gallon for now they are around $10. One of those floating turtle docks is also a good idea. You can feed them turtle food but throw some minnows in every so often. If you intend on breeding them it is alot easier to get them to mate if you feed them a natural diet. The more natural their environment the better their chances. And don\'t be afraid to catch a wild Painted or Slider and throw it into the mix once you get a large habitat. Painted and Sliders go hand in hand and often interbreed. Turtles are probably the only wild animal that does well in captivity after living in its natural environment for years. They adapt well and love being lazy and having food brought to them. When the turtles become full grown you can feed them gold fish. Good luck with your turtles and enjoy them.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

too early to think about breeding:)
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

I thought Razor_Reptile was talking about breeding the minnows :D
NeoZeRo35

so does that mean that my 18\" uvb lightbulb from reptisuns is pointless? i know that the plastic is suppose to protect the light bulb from moisture, but what other way can i use my uvb light bulb so that my tutles get the uv that they need? or should i go with a completely different setup?

also, another quick question...should i turn the light blub off during night (or anytime for that matter?) i\'m just wondering if they can sleep with the lights on.
reptileman
Level 4
Level 4

you must simulate the sun, light on during the day and off during the night. you can use uv blacklights (or so I hear) at night but that\'s a totally different story and I don\'t think you can. but during the day---light on. during the night---light off. (I thank mariza once again)
Last edited by reptileman on Thu Dec 23, 2004 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

I have my setup with two clip on lights, one is the uv light and the other is just a regular bulb that I put in for heat (until I get a ceramic heater) I have the regular bulb kinda blocked with a piece of aluminum sheeting so they don\'t get too much light at night, and I turn off the uv light during the night, I usually tell they \"Ok guys, lights out\":D
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

for protecting the bulbs u can use screens with big holes to make sure nothing much is blocked and they can still get the needed light..

in talking about ceramic things,,what is a ceramic oxygen?
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

I haven\'t heard of ceramic oxygen.:( where did you hear that?
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

the fish section..it was beside that hydrometer and there was nothing written on it
it was a long ceramic tube that seems to stick on the tank
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

ok so it\'s just fish philosophy:D
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Maybe if you can send a picture of it so we can see it for ourselves:D
NeoZeRo35

ceramic oxygen? if i put large holes, would moisture still get to the lightblub?
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

i don\'t have it but i\'ll try to post some pix if i find..

does the moisture bother u? maybe ur temps are a little bit high??
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

neozero35 wrote:
ceramic oxygen? if i put large holes, would moisture still get to the lightblub?
If it\'s just a couple of drops here and there, or if it\'s just like evaporated water from the tank it really shouldn\'t bother the bulb at all, other than corroding the metal parts of it, the drops will just sizzle and turn to steam, the only way a bulb might burst is if you dropped it into the water while it is still hot, because of the rapid change in temperature, that is kinda what happens to windshields when they throw hot water on a frozen windshield, it cracks, not because of the hot water but because of the sudden change in temperature.

Have you ever cracked a whip? or seen it done in the old westerns, well, that whip will not crack unless you yank it back as soon at you send it out, if you do it slowly it won\'t crack. it is kinda the same situation.:D
sindykara
Level 1
Level 1

neozero35 wrote:
hi everyone. my friend just gave me two red ear sliders for my b-day this past week and i\'ve been doing as much research as a can to take good care of them. i just have a couple of questions though.

1. there is currently a plastic glass between my turtles and my light bulb. does that filter the uv that they need?

2. i know it takes time and money to take care of a turtle, but is it that much harder to take care of 2?

thanks in advance...and i love my turtles!
it\'s realy not that hard to take care of 2
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

not at all:) i\'m waiting till we move so i can upgrade to a BIG tank and get one more turtle:)
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Have you thought of a name for the new turtle yet?
  • Information