Big Black Bubble

Post your turtle first aid questions here.

hey..tonight..i saw a big black bubble come out of my turtles tail..is this his penis?? or is this because of the rocks?? or is it prolapse?? i thought prolapse was like a beige color..this thing was big and black and looked flowy kinda..i dunno??? should i be worried???
yaya
Level 4
Level 4

i think u the proud owner of a male without a doubt...lol

how can u be sure?? i mean it was bubly like, not long and slender, u know??? what i thought, was maybe cause i took otu all the rocks..he sees his reflection on the bottom???
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

i don\'t know about this..what is it like? does it stick to him or released?

i\'m not too sure hwat you mean by this..it comes out fo his tail..and then goes back in again....and nothing else comes out.....its like lonnngg..and i think it was curling up under him..andthen goes back in....
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

oh ok i know what u mean now..i don\'t know if this is prolapse but check this:
http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Care/m ... m#Prolapse:

umm ya i already checked taht out..its not really useful cause it doesnt\' describe much whta it looks like..i wish someone had a pic...im really hoping that its only him being attracted to his reflection on the glass..because he was using his back legs and pushing them close together...i dont know what that really means...but i would have thought that if there were any gravel left they wouldhave come out with that sort of action??
Thanks for all ur advice
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

ok i hope he\'s fine..keep an eye on him in case it happens again..but i hope everything\'s normal,,he had enough from that gravel already
reptileman
Level 4
Level 4

something usually comes out of a turtle\'s anus and goes back in and its normal. I\'m not sure but I think that stuff is its intestines but I\'ll look into it and I\'m sure stray will too.
Last edited by reptileman on Wed Dec 15, 2004 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
reptileman
Level 4
Level 4

ah, I believe it is prolapse.
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Prolapse: Organ prolapse is when a turtle\'s organs (usually the colon or reproductive organs) \"turn inside out\" and protrude through the cloaca. It is more often seen in land specimens than aquatic ones. Occasionally this behavior is normal and rectified quickly. If the animal does not retract the organs on its own, treatment may be required. If you suspect a prolapse, soak the animal in clean, warm water for 30 minutes. This will keep the organs clean and may correct the problem. If not, seek veterinary attention.

From the following web page:http://www.klsnet.com/sickturt.html

If it goes back in, which normally does, leave it alone, if it doesn\'t, follow the instructions above and take your turtle to the vet, if it is penile prolapse, it should go back in if not you can assist, you\'ll need surgical gloves and KY jelly to help his thing back inside, if it is intestinal prolapse, see the following link:http://www.chelonia.org/Articles/Cloacal_prolapse.htm

Thanks everyone for all ur help.i hope my turtle is all better..the thing hasnt\' come out again..so i\'m sure he\'s fine..its just been so worrying with the gravel and all..and i\'m all drugged up cause i got my wisdom teeth out so i havn\'t been able to watch him as well...but i think he\'ll be fine now..:)
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

No problem, glad to be able to help.:D

I saw the same thing a couple of days ago with my turtle. It looked like a flowing black mushroom and it was huge! I thought he was sitting on somethin until I looked closer. It kind of freaked me out. I haven\'t seen it since. Sometimes I have seen a little black coming in and out of his tail but never this size.
yaya
Level 4
Level 4

everything that i read about the prolaspse,the only thing who suppose to be black is the penis.personnally i really thing he show u he\'s a boy...maybe the massage of the rock help him to \"show it\"..or like u say,is own reflection...
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

oh yeah maybe..but i wouldn\'t want to see that with my turtles,lol

ok so now we hope U get better soon:)
xVBBB Girlx
Level 3
Level 3

0_o, sick........ that last pics of the tortoise was more then i wanted, lol
AllTurtles
Administrator
Administrator

This article covers prolapse in detail and addresses if you need to treat it with a vet. https://www.allturtles.com/turtle-prolapse/
  • Information