My turtles are sick again :( please help!!

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
GGLuis
Level 2
Level 2

I have two small red ear turtles for about 5 months. They were eating just fine and doing good. Then one of them got swollen eyes and the other one seem to start getting them. Then I got them a bigger tank so they wouldn\'t be cold anymore(the tank is for cold fish, but the tank is usually at 76 and I still got them a heater so I don\'t think there\'s a problem with that). I didn\'t use the heater yet, because I wanted to get rocks and gold fish for them to play and clim and I wanted to wait first. I tried fiding them, but they wouldn\'t eat it. I left them out in the sun so they could walk on the grass. When I got home from school the next day they seem to have trouble opening their eyes again :(. I tried using the eye drops again, but they didn\'t seem to work. I tried using the heater so the water could get warmer, and it got to 80 then the tank started to vaporize, the windows were white and decided to turn it off and wait to ask you guys. I hope to hear from you soon, thanks for your time. (gold fish are not bad right? I heard turtles like playing with them and they will eat the left overs)
Louis
yaya
Level 4
Level 4

keep ur water at 82/85(that\'s for sick turtle)some condensation on the glass can happen but i would check the temp in ur basking area as well(if it get too hot keep ur lid open,some heat will get out)i don\'t know how hot it is where u live but keep ur turtles away from cold draft(so they don\'t get respiratory infection)but for the eyes of ur turtles i will go see a vet,but check out this link it might help;www.austinsturtlepage.com/Care/medeyes.htm...
Last edited by yaya on Tue Dec 14, 2004 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

I read somewhere that chlorine can cause their eyes to swell up, try putting them in some water from those reverse osmosis water dispensers they have at the stores or get some spring water and put them in a large bowl, their eyes should go back to normal, they have some chlorine eliminator tablets or drops that you can put in the water to remove the chlorine, read the following:

[quote]Tinkerbell wrote:
Overview of Swollen / Puffy Eyes

* Recommended Treatments are below *

A turtle with puffy, swollen or closed eyes is not uncommon and something that you should familiarize yourself with treating. The first step is to determine what is causing the problem with the eyes.

If the turtle is experiencing problems with a single eye, it is most likely due to an injury, be it self-inflicted, scraped or poked by another turtle or possible done by something in the habitat (corner of the basking area, stick, etc). If both eyes are affected then, then you need to look into health-related problems.

One of the most common causes for turtles to have swollen, puffy, closed or red eyes, is related to water quality. In some species, a high concentration to chlorine can cause them to have adverse reactions. Typically, this is confined to keeping the eyes closed, some rubbing of the eyes and maybe some twitching of the head. This usually goes away within a few hours if left alone. If you notice that your turtle does have a reaction to chlorinated water, either dechlorinate the water before placing the turtle in the water, or let the water stand for about 24 hours before introducing the turtle.

If the turtle is having a reaction to water quality, then the first thing you are going to need to look at is your filtration. The filter might be clogged or is unable to meet the demands and a larger or otherwise better filter may be needed to assist in improving the quality of the water. Frequent water changes would benefit your turtle and would assist you in determining if this is indeed the problem.

Vitamin A deficiency is another common problem. If your turtle is not eating a varied diet which is rich in vitamins or is not being offered a supplement, then this may very well be the problem your turtle is having.

If your turtle has an infection of the eyes, then prompt attention is needed. Keep in mind that not all eye infections are actually problems within the eye itself. It may also be in an infection within the body and is simply manifesting itself in the eyes in the appearance of swelling.

I got this info from this website:
http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Care/emergencies.htm
--------------------------------------------
Read from the following page:http://www.allturtles.com/msgboard/view ... picID=3146
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

u can use \"human\" eye drops for them but make sure they are ok for turtles and other pets..i hope they get well soon,,just raise the temps and better if u take them out of water for sometime
GGLuis
Level 2
Level 2

I bought water conditioner, will that help remove the chlorine? It says only for fish and plants, but the owner of the store said it works for turtles too I\'m not sure what to do.
yaya
Level 4
Level 4

yes..that\'s what i use...and let the water sit for 24 hours so the ph can equilibrate...
  • Information