Turtles on the rock

Discussions about turtles.

I have had my turtles for 3 years now. They are now in a large 30 gallon tank. The rock they bask on is elevated above the water.

I just dont understand after 3 years of being in my apartment, why they fly off the rock and into the water when they see me. They will only go on the heated area of the rock when nobody is in the room.

Why are the turtles so ***** scared to stay on the rock and bask while I am walking around the apartment? Are they just scardy turtles or wimpy turtles? How can I get them to be a bit more brave?
cstanton819
Level 3
Level 3

I don\'t think they will ever get brave.
I was told that when they see me they automatically think that it is time to eat.
Maybe when they see you they are just waiting for that food to magically appear and they can\'t eat it unless they are in the water.
o0hamburger0o
Level 3
Level 3

my turtles a whimmpy turtle to but hes only little well you might not get them out enough when ever i can near the tank he would scoot off but now he sorta just swims around
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

are u around often? maybe ur not spending enough time with them that\'s why..but my turtles sometimes do the same when it\'s been a while someone didn\'t get into the room and they suddenly hear a sound they\'ll go swimming like crazy
  • Information