sick turtle?

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
rachelmarie
Level 3
Level 3

sick turtle?

Post by rachelmarie » Sat Dec 11, 2004 8:48 pm

I just recently had to pack up my turtle\'s things and travel with him in the car. I put him into a much smaller tank with a lid and he \"sat\" in the front seat of my car for 200 or so miles.

I had to stay in a hotel room that night and he stayed in the small tank that night, too.

When I got to where I was going, I put him into the same exact enviroment he is at home. (I brought everything with me) I set it all back up and did everything as I would normally do. (Meaning, he was back in his normal sized tank with a filter, heater, basking lamp, light, etc.)

Now, he is refusing to eat.

I\'m noticing that he is shedding his skin and that his throat is constantly in a gulping motion, like he is coughing or sneezing. Yet, I haven\'t seen him actually opening his mouth.

He definitely isn\'t as active as he usually is and prefers to bask a lot more often.

I REALLY do not want to have to take him to the vet. He\'s still a baby (I\'ve had him for 4 months) yet has been growing at a pretty good rate.

I\'m going on vacation in less than a week and would really appreciate any advice on things I can do at home to help him get over his illness in a speedy manner. (I\'d rather leave him with our neighbor healthy, and not have her deal with his death!)

I have already raised the temperature of the water in his tank.

Any advice?

Thanks!

STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Re: sick turtle?

Post by STRAYKINGFISHER » Sat Dec 11, 2004 9:03 pm

I\'m noticing that he is shedding his skin and that his throat is constantly in a gulping motion, like he is coughing or sneezing. Yet, I haven\'t seen him actually opening his mouth.
Well, shedding is normal since he is growing, as for the throat thing, mine do the same thing, kinda like the frogs do right, as for the lack of eating, well, he just traveled 200 or so odd miles, he is in a place he doesn\'t recognize, it might take him a while, offer him something different, I gave mine some cocktail shrimp (minus the sauce:D) and they loved it, try some blood worms, don\'t just stick to the pellets, I hope everything turns out ok, let us know how things are going.:D

rachelmarie
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Re: sick turtle?

Post by rachelmarie » Sat Dec 11, 2004 9:08 pm

i\'m glad your turtles do the same gulping-type thing. he\'s just never done it before (that i\'ve noticed!) so it was kind of worried.

and, he hasn\'t eaten since monday. that\'s why i was so concerned. but, i\'ve kept reading through the message boards and seen that sometimes they don\'t adjust for a few weeks.

thanks a bunch!

STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Post by STRAYKINGFISHER » Sat Dec 11, 2004 9:28 pm

That\'s a nice looking turtle, by the way.:D
Last edited by STRAYKINGFISHER on Sat Dec 11, 2004 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rachelmarie
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rachelmarie » Sat Dec 11, 2004 11:50 pm

thanks!

he looks a little strange in that picture because he\'s in the corner of his plastic traveling tank. warps the right side of his face a touch! (well, his left .. our right!)

bad news, though.

i stood by his tank for a while tonight to observe him and i\'m definitely noticing that he\'s opening his mouth and \"coughing\". not good! :(

do you know if they sell anything OTC that i can purchase that might help instead of going to a vet?

i don\'t think i\'m going to be able to avoid going to the vet, unforunately.

i\'m changing the water frequently and monitoring the water temperature probably more than necessary.

the thing is, all he wants to do now is bask. (which i\'ve heard is also a sign of a problem ..)

great ..

i put some veggies in there (don\'t think he\'s touched them).

good news: i put a little food stick on his basking area and when he got off to get wet about an hour ago, it fell in the water with him and i\'m pretty sure he took a bite out of it. a bite is progress!

i just don\'t want him to die .. i\'d feel awful and be pretty upset, too!

here\'s to hoping ..

dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Post by dixieee » Sun Dec 12, 2004 6:03 am

btw,,cute turtle u got:) he looks exactly like my mint,,is he a yellow-belly?
Last edited by dixieee on Sun Dec 12, 2004 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

rachelmarie
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rachelmarie » Sun Dec 12, 2004 9:57 am

i only saw him do the opening of his mouth thing once, but he did it several times in a row. and i\'ve read (in the message boards) a few people saying that their turtles would do this.

i\'m going to keep an eye on him, but we\'ve got plans to visit the vet on monday. :(

thanks! he\'s not a yellow belly .. he\'s a RES. but, i had never seen yellow bellies until i started researching turtles and they are darn cute! i might have to invest in one!

reptileman
Level 4
Level 4

Post by reptileman » Sun Dec 12, 2004 10:07 am

do you want me to post the pic in your signature?

reptileman
Level 4
Level 4

Post by reptileman » Sun Dec 12, 2004 10:11 am

never mind, I took the liberty to do it myself. he looks just like my turtle, (btw I\'m changing his name) he\'s pretty cute.
Last edited by reptileman on Sun Dec 12, 2004 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Post by STRAYKINGFISHER » Sun Dec 12, 2004 12:07 pm

good news: i put a little food stick on his basking area and when he got off to get wet about an hour ago, it fell in the water with him and i\'m pretty sure he took a bite out of it. a bite is progress!
Keep in mind that water turtles can\'t eat out of the water because they don\'t have saliva so THEY HAVE TO EAT IN THE WATER, that gulping could be kinda like begging, letting you know he\'s hungry, try giving him some shrimp from one of those shrimp cocktails they sell at the store, minus the sauce ofcourse, mine loved them. I hope that helps you.

rachelmarie
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rachelmarie » Sun Dec 12, 2004 12:36 pm

thanks! i was trying to figure out how to do it, but i just couldn\'t seem to get it!

rachelmarie
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rachelmarie » Sun Dec 12, 2004 12:38 pm

oh no, i definitely know that. i just didn\'t want it to sit in the water because i knew he wouldn\'t eat it and then it would get sucked up by the filter.

i take him out of his tank to eat, but i feel like i\'m torturing him because he\'s not eating. so i put it in a dry place and he\'s smart enough to bump it off if he wants it. (as i\'ve seen him do it)

but, thanks for the information!

STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Post by STRAYKINGFISHER » Sun Dec 12, 2004 12:39 pm

You\'re welcome, when you buy your turtle they don\'t give you much information, I think most of the people that sell them don\'t even know themselves.:(
To me that is very sad, because the only ones that suffer are the turtles, well, I hope yours starts eating soon.:D

reptileman
Level 4
Level 4

Post by reptileman » Sun Dec 12, 2004 1:30 pm

you\'re welcome. I like seeing good pics and I like helping people post nice pics.

rachelmarie
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rachelmarie » Sun Dec 12, 2004 1:48 pm

STRAYKINGFISHER wrote:
You\'re welcome, when you buy your turtle they don\'t give you much information, I think most of the people that sell them don\'t even know themselves.:(
To me that is very sad, because the only ones that suffer are the turtles, well, I hope yours starts eating soon.:D
yea they definitely didn\'t tell me anything. although i think you read the wrong reply as my response to you telling me he needs water with his food.

but, he\'s gotta visit the vet. he\'s sick and there\'s no avoiding the $ it\'s going to take to make him better. i can\'t just sit here and let him die on his basking rock! :(

i\'ve already talked to the vet today. and he\'s going tomorrow!

i\'ll let you know how it goes.

STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Post by STRAYKINGFISHER » Sun Dec 12, 2004 2:05 pm

yea they definitely didn\'t tell me anything. although i think you read the wrong reply as my response to you telling me he needs water with his food.
I think we were both writing a post at just about the same time, so I had not had a chance to see it because when you posted yours, I was just finishing mine, :D , Oh well, anyway you do know that baby turtles are mainly carnivorous when they are young and will eat mainly vegetation when they get old(er), I guess when they fill up your whole hand you can consider them teenagers(:D) I really don\'t know, but I am going under that assumption. Try some boiled chicken pieces, kinda mash them a little so that they can chew a piece off, he might like that.:D

dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Post by dixieee » Sun Dec 12, 2004 2:55 pm

i really hope he\'s ok and nothing\'s wrong..tell us what happens as soon as u know

reptileman
Level 4
Level 4

Post by reptileman » Sun Dec 12, 2004 3:16 pm

there could be something wrong with its throat

rachelmarie
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rachelmarie » Sun Dec 12, 2004 5:21 pm

reptileman wrote:
there could be something wrong with its throat

could be .. we\'ll find out tomorrow!

rachelmarie
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rachelmarie » Sun Dec 12, 2004 5:28 pm

STRAYKINGFISHER wrote:
I think we were both writing a post at just about the same time, so I had not had a chance to see it because when you posted yours, I was just finishing mine, :D , Oh well, anyway you do know that baby turtles are mainly carnivorous when they are young and will eat mainly vegetation when they get old(er), I guess when they fill up your whole hand you can consider them teenagers(:D) I really don\'t know, but I am going under that assumption. Try some boiled chicken pieces, kinda mash them a little so that they can chew a piece off, he might like that.:D
ah ha .. i see what happened. ;)

i think i\'ll try the chicken tomorrow after i take him to the vet and he\'s feeling better after some antibiotics.

i was told by the vet to mash up food and use a dropper to force feed him .. not gonna happen. he won\'t open his mouth for anything. she said i could bring him into the vet tonight and there will be a tech there who will tube feed him, but god only knows how expensive that would be! she\'s supposed to call me so we\'ll see.

rachelmarie
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rachelmarie » Sun Dec 12, 2004 5:29 pm

dixieee wrote:
i really hope he\'s ok and nothing\'s wrong..tell us what happens as soon as u know
awh, thanks! i definitely will update you guys!

xVBBB Girlx
Level 3
Level 3

Post by xVBBB Girlx » Sun Dec 12, 2004 5:51 pm

dont worrie i have 3 RES and they all do the same, and with the eating (s)he is prob just in shock or kind of disturbed by the moving of tanks, commen more among hachlings or perhaps hes just not hunrgy lol, *yeah like that really likly mine eat anything and everything*, anymore questions feel free to ask love turtles *u should see my room omg* devoited what can i say :P

*rachel

xVBBB Girlx
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Re: Re: sick turtle?

Post by xVBBB Girlx » Sun Dec 12, 2004 5:57 pm

rachelmarie wrote:
thanks!

i stood by his tank for a while tonight to observe him and i\'m definitely noticing that he\'s opening his mouth and \"coughing\". not good! :(

i\'m changing the water frequently and monitoring the water temperature probably more than necessary.

the thing is, all he wants to do now is bask. (which i\'ve heard is also a sign of a problem ..)

great ..

i put some veggies in there (don\'t think he\'s touched them).

i just don\'t want him to die .. i\'d feel awful and be pretty upset, too!

here\'s to hoping ..
ok he/she is more likly to have a respatory infection but i do reccomend going to the vet *had 3 that dies that way* little hachlings and little turtles tend to eat more meat substance then veggies as they get older they will be more leanient on things, so try cooked chicken, shripm, repti sticks, raw meat, lean meat, and dont count on it but you can through in some veggies to vairy the diet....trust me even at 6= inches they still dont like then so save the veggies and go for meat or grapes *love them*.....anymore questions feel free to ask

*rachel
owner of 5 great turtles 3 RES, and 2 boxies

xVBBB Girlx
Level 3
Level 3

Post by xVBBB Girlx » Sun Dec 12, 2004 6:00 pm

ok last message his/her food has to be in the water for them to eat and swallow it and dont try giving it food everyday u\'ll over feed it and give it prymids *thus decressing the life span*....try giving it the amount about the size of its head might not eat as much now as it is sick, but will improve *ok done babbling now*

Rachel
Owner of 5 great turtles 3 RES and 2 boxies

rachelmarie
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Re: Re: Re: sick turtle?

Post by rachelmarie » Sun Dec 12, 2004 7:18 pm

ok he/she is more likly to have a respatory infection but i do reccomend going to the vet *had 3 that dies that way* little hachlings and little turtles tend to eat more meat substance then veggies as they get older they will be more leanient on things, so try cooked chicken, shripm, repti sticks, raw meat, lean meat, and dont count on it but you can through in some veggies to vairy the diet....trust me even at 6= inches they still dont like then so save the veggies and go for meat or grapes *love them*.....anymore questions feel free to ask

*rachel
owner of 5 great turtles 3 RES, and 2 boxies

yea, he definitely is sick and on his way out. i can\'t get to the vet until tomorrow (due to it being the weekend) and i\'m not sure that he\'ll make it through the night. we\'ll see though. thanks for the help.

o0hamburger0o
Level 3
Level 3

Post by o0hamburger0o » Sun Dec 12, 2004 9:57 pm

sorry to hear about your turtle hope hes ok you said he wont open his moth for anything.....atleast hes not trying to bite you (mine was)
maybe you could try him on some cooked pork or ham my little munchin loves that

rachelmarie
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rachelmarie » Mon Dec 13, 2004 5:50 pm

well i called the vet this morning and they couldn\'t fit us in until 3. bummer.

i put him into his traveling tank so that i could monitor the water temperature very carefully. it\'s like his little incubator. :)

the vet gave us meds and gave him some vitamin A.

so now we just have to wait.

i know it\'s silly, but i swear he\'s already looking better. let\'s hope!

thank you for all of the suggestions and support!

i will keep you guys updated!

o0hamburger0o
Level 3
Level 3

Post by o0hamburger0o » Mon Dec 13, 2004 5:56 pm

great hope he gets better so what was actually wrong with him?

STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Post by STRAYKINGFISHER » Mon Dec 13, 2004 7:35 pm

i know it\'s silly, but i swear he\'s already looking better. let\'s hope!
Great news, awaiting better ones:D

rachelmarie
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rachelmarie » Mon Dec 13, 2004 7:39 pm

o0hamburger0o wrote:
great hope he gets better so what was actually wrong with him?
well she wanted to do a culture to pinpoint exactly what it was, but she said that if she just gave him the antibiotics it would clear whatever it is up, anyway.

i didn\'t want to pay $45 for a culture when the antibiotics would help either way.

o0hamburger0o
Level 3
Level 3

Post by o0hamburger0o » Mon Dec 13, 2004 7:58 pm

yea $45 smackers is alot of stuff you could buy for your turtle or alot of chocolate bars you could buy for your self

cstanton819
Level 3
Level 3

Post by cstanton819 » Mon Dec 13, 2004 8:22 pm

xVBBB Girlx wrote over feed it and give it prymids *thus decressing the life span*....
Rachel
Owner of 5 great turtles 3 RES and 2 boxies

What do you mean Pyramids???

dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Post by dixieee » Tue Dec 14, 2004 11:21 am

is that \"coughing\" gasping thing going on constantly? i didn\'t really get it if the vet saw him yet,,but if it was serious he wouldn\'t delay it..

still hope he gets better soon,,keep us updated

rachelmarie
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rachelmarie » Wed Dec 15, 2004 12:56 am

dixieee wrote:
is that \"coughing\" gasping thing going on constantly? i didn\'t really get it if the vet saw him yet,,but if it was serious he wouldn\'t delay it..

still hope he gets better soon,,keep us updated
yea, he was still doing the gasping even after we saw the vet. it\'s him coughing and sneezing .. due to the fact he has a respiratory infection. she said he should stop that in about week. (think about once you get on antibiotics for a cold .. it doesn\'t stop immediately, of course.) so with time .. he should be feeling better.

he gets his 2nd shot of antibiotics on thursday.

dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Post by dixieee » Wed Dec 15, 2004 2:45 am

oh ok..good that he\'s getting treated..keep us posted:)

xVBBB Girlx
Level 3
Level 3

Post by xVBBB Girlx » Thu Dec 16, 2004 10:16 pm

prymids, not sure if i spelt that correctly but its when the shell rises up, in like prymid forms, here i\'ll post a pic....here read this....Below are examples of pyramiding from an improper diet.
Pyramiding is irregular growth, often characterized by a shell (carapace and plastron)
which is lumpy, and sometimes grows in irregular, unnatural directions.

Unfortunately, not only the \"outside\" of the tortoise is affected. Tortoises which suffer from
pyramiding may also have other health problems. Metabolic Bone Disease (MBD),
bladder stones, weak bone structure, and renal problems are all too common in
tortoises which have suffered from the long term effects of a bad diet.

\"Pyramiding\" got it\'s name because of the almost triangular shaped upward growth
to the turtle\'s shell, as it often resembles Egyptian pyramids.....heres a pic, easy to understand, if you dont feed it properly, u get conciquences.....
http://www.turtlestuff.com/pyramid.html go to this website, answers questions and shows pics

reptileman
Level 4
Level 4

Post by reptileman » Sat Dec 18, 2004 11:39 am

ack! pyramiding is scary looking! I\'ve never seen anything like it!

xVBBB Girlx
Level 3
Level 3

Post by xVBBB Girlx » Sat Dec 18, 2004 12:35 pm

yeah, the scary thing is that you do it to them. its like slowly killing your turtle!, cant imagin doing that to mine......turtle kilers

reptileman
Level 4
Level 4

Post by reptileman » Sat Dec 18, 2004 8:19 pm

there used to be a guy on here who hated turtle killers!

xVBBB Girlx
Level 3
Level 3

Post by xVBBB Girlx » Sun Dec 19, 2004 12:45 pm

yeah who doesnt, but most people in this case dont know that there actully harming there turtle bu over feeding it, u know, with the multiple hart,liver, kidnys, and other orgains u damage by doing somthing as simple as over feeding, kinda scary if u thiink about it