is this ok?

Post any questions you have about a turtle indoor setup here. Or if you have a link to your indoor setup picture we would love to see it.
dgilly
Level 1
Level 1

i got my painted turtle (i believe that is what it is) about three weeks ago and it is living in a 20 gallon tank with about two inches deep of water, has about two big rocks for basking and i just keep a 75 watt light on it for about two to four hours. I also have a kiddie pool with one big rock set up outside.....is this all ok??
l8or g8or

Go to the setup page on this site and you will find all the information that you need. You will need to get a UVB bulb for your turtle and leave it on for up to 12 hours at a time.
dgilly
Level 1
Level 1

yaya i am too lazy for that. isnt it just fine to take it outside every day for about 5 hrs. and what about plants, ect?
l8or g8or

Yes it is fine, but what about in the winter? Also, your turtle will eat any and all the plants that you put in there.... and in the tank it causes a big mess.
Heather
Level 3
Level 3

you are also going to need more water in your aquarium even though you take him outside everyday.
dgilly
Level 1
Level 1

how much more water
l8or g8or

as deep as your turtle is long....
l8or g8or

Your turtle is going to need proper lighting to obtain optimal health. Here is a link to a great site about reptile lighting....

http://www.tortoisetrust.org/articles/lighting.html
  • Information