I need help. Please can you help me with my turtle

Post any questions you have about a turtle outdoor setup here. Or if you have a link to your outdoor setup picture we would love to see it.
GGLuis
Level 2
Level 2

I was wondering if you could help me with my turtle. I bought two red ear turtles about 5 months ago. They first came with a small aquarium they could berly fit in there (I think they are baby turtles, because they are really small) Then I had some type of plastic shoe box and that\'s where I have them now. They were eating really well, but about a month ago they stopped eating and one of them won\'t open it\'s eyes :( I\'m really scared. I read on your website that they stop eating and then they die :(. Please help me what can I do. Do I need to buy them a bigger aquarium and different type of rocks, because I only have big ones. Do I need a heater or different type of food? I hope to hear from you soon thanks for your time.
Louis
KELLY
Level 2
Level 2

First if they have not eaten in a month that is not good. I would call a reptile vet asap! As for the aquarium i am not sure exactly how big they are but if you are going to put 2 in same tank i would go as big as you can afford. They will grow too. You need a full spectrum reptile light which is the same as natural sunlight.i use a light called reptisun 2.0.it is a long bulb that fits in the hood of an aquarium. You also need an aquarium heater. i set mine to about 74-75 degrees. You should also get a good filter. i use a fluval 204 external filter but keep in mind get right size for the tank you are getting. Feed a variety of food. i rotate between stick food, feeder fish,earthworms,crickets and mealworms. If it was me i would take them to vet first then when they are back to normal start over with new set up. good luck.
cwabbit
Level 1
Level 1

i had a porblem like that and mine died and i think it had a lot to do with the water bing to cold. i have biger turtles the live in a pond out side and thought the babys would be fine to but found out the hard way that they need the water to be 75-80 would sugest to get a heater.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

if water is too cold they won\'t eat..not eating will reduce their strength and they will be threatened easily by any disease + that warm water helps boost their immune system in the case of being sick..they don\'t seem to be in an appropriate environment..they need water heaters, basking lights, Uv lights, etc..

it\'s been a while u\'re in the site so for sure u already know about those requirements..

for the sick guy now, go to a pet shop and get him eye drops or in the worst case go to a normal pharmacy and get him human eye drops BUT make sure they are ok to be used on animals..or u can bring those cod liver oil pills, break them and get out the oil or whatever is in there and rub it gently with a clean cloth on ur turtle\'s eyes..after doing this and changing their home, wait for a couple of days, if they didn\'t get better then take them to the vet..

at least for now, heat some water to 79 F (NOT BOIL) and put them in with some tuna fish to eat..

good luck with ur guys..i know this reply is late but i hope it\'s not too late
  • Information