Can somebody please help me, I need help

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
GGLuis
Level 2
Level 2

I was wondering if you could help me with my turtle. I bought two turtles about 5 months ago. They first came with a small aquarium they could berly fit in there (I think they are baby turtles, because they are really small). They are red ear turtles. Then I had some type of plastic shoe box and that\'s where I have them now. They were eating really well, but about a month ago they stopped eating and one of them won\'t open it\'s eyes :( I\'m really scared. I read on your website that they stop eating and then they die :(. Please help me what can I do. Do I need to buy them a bigger aquarium and different type of rocks, because I only have big ones. I hope to hear from you soon thanks for your time.
Louis
yaya
Level 4
Level 4

do u have a water heater?do u have a uv light and a basking area??need more info of ur set-up...what ur temp in the water?
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

yeah seems u don\'t have the things they need..u should check the water temp. in the 70\'s F and u should have a UV light to give them the energy needed from sunlight..what did u feed them?
don\'t worry u can still catch up..just provide us with some more info. about their setup
o0hamburger0o
Level 3
Level 3

i read sum where to gently wash there eyes with a cotton bud and sumthing i know its diluted salt water for land animals but im not sure what it was for turtles
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

yes u can also use any eye drops for people but ask the pharmacist if it is ok for turtles
reptileman
Level 4
Level 4

just a question, don\'t call me stupid: do you have it in water? a red eared slider needs to be in water to eat. that\'s how it swallows.
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

This is somebody else\'s tank the one you need will look similar, they will need a place to get out of the water to \"sun\" themselves (basking area) and you get to decorate your tank the way you want, I put one of my nephew\'s toy boats, I sank it with a rock big enough to fit in it, so it wouldn\'t float back up, so now I have a boat wreck at the bottom of my tank.:D
Last edited by STRAYKINGFISHER on Fri Dec 10, 2004 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
cstanton819
Level 3
Level 3

GGLuis wrote:
Then I had some type of plastic shoe box and that\'s where I have them now. Louis
I think you should start by getting them into an aquarium, with water, and a heater.
Then a uv heat lamp.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Last edited by mariza on Fri Dec 10, 2004 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
o0hamburger0o
Level 3
Level 3

a shoe box? i hope the shoes in it were about a size 50!!
  • Information