tennessee big turtle

Not sure what kind of turtle you have? Come in and ask the turtle community.
bumonie

I live in Knoxville Tn, was walking tonight at a small park that usually has a big pond, but it\'s mostly dry now. While walking, my son and I discovered a very large turtle just kind of resting in the grass. He was headed away from the somewhat swampy area. The description is as follows: Sixe: About 20 inches from head to tail. Width: 12 inches wide or more. The shell was greyish ( he was still kind of covered with swamp stuff) but the shell was sectioned but smooth, it had no ridge up the middle.. instead it was inverted or should I say somewhat flat. The most interesting part on him was the back of his shell right by his tail. It looked like an old sawtooth tree saw. Big Jagged spikes. About four of them. Never saw a turtle with those before. His feet/legs were EXtremely thick, not skinny and tippy toe like some turtles. His neck wasn\'t that long either. He snapped at my son, so we got to see his neck come out. Was surprised it was so short. His nose was pointed up, kind of typical there. I wish I could tell you more about his coloring but he still had some swampiness to him, but he wasn\'t very green. More greyish looking. Eyes had a yellowish color. I\'ve tried to look this fellow up online ( I can\'t find my Audubon amphibian book anywhere) and I\'m dying to know what this turle is. If you could email me at [email protected]. I would appreciate anyone\'s help. The only turtle that came close to this one was an Alligator snapping turtle? Not sure tho..... HELP! please!
Heather
Level 3
Level 3

It does sound like a snapping turtle!!
jbird507
Level 3
Level 3

Heather wrote:
It does sound like a snapping turtle!!
yupperz
  • Information