RES and painted not eating

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
tim82884

My RES and paited turtle that I have had for over three years all of a sudden stopped eating. My mom insisted on giving them raw hamburger and they ate that, but I don\'t like giving them hamburger. What could be causing this lack of hunger and interested in food. I have tried their normal food, goldfish (which they normally love) and krill. The water I don\'t think is too cold. I have heaters.

any info would be appreciated

Tim
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

is everything else other than eating normal? swimming, basking is all ok? maybe they are fed up with their food..did they eat the hamburger after they stopped eating like before? if they like it then just give them what they want and try to put other types of food while feeding them the hamburger..they\'ll get used to eating it again..i don\'t know if it works but i did this with my turtles,,they refused to eat anything at the beginning except bread which i learned is not good for them so i started feeding them pellet \"sandwiches\" until they started eating it normally..
hope it works..tell us what happens:)
yaya
Level 4
Level 4

tim82884 wrote:
My mom insisted on giving them raw hamburger and they ate that, but I don\'t like giving them hamburger.
any info would be appreciated

Tim
i don\'t think giving them raw meat it\'s good...i read somewhere that every turtles have the salmonella bacterium in them,but not develop...raw meat or poor water quality could make that bacterium develop and it could be transfer to u or ur family.which could result in health problem and even death(don\'t want to scared u but it\'s a possibility)i suggest that u give meat that as been well cook,and if it\'s chicken i would boil it real carefully.btw i read somewhere that ground beef is real fat and shouldn\'t be give to turtle..try tuna instead...
o0hamburger0o
Level 3
Level 3

my names hamburger im sure i wouldnt hurt your turtle lol i heard that raw meat wasnt to bad for young turtles but it is fatty
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

lol good one hamburger; )

well yaya i know that raw chicken is bad but i just knew that raw meat is also bad..ok no harm in cooking,,boil it
  • Information