Small eggs in water, transparent

Here you can direct all your questions about turtle breeding and what to do about those eggs you found that your turtle laid.
liamotoole9

If any one could help me i would appreciate it. I have so far found 6 eggs on the top of the water of my tank. They are all clear and transparent and are the size of jelly beans....what does this mean...are they ok or have they died....please help
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

We need to know if your turtle is alone or does she have a male in there with her, if she is alone and there is eggs, it could be that the eggs are infertile, read the following:http://www.allturtles.com/msgboard/view ... picID=4414

that person had more or less the same situation. If it doesn\'t help come back with another question.:D
liamotoole9

Thanks but that does not help...I have two turtles in one tank and i assume that the other is male. Its kind of gooey. Yeah so i belive there is both male and female and they have been together for 6 months. I saw them doing the dance thing like 4 weeks ago or more and when the turtle began swimming like crazy i was told that the turtle was pregnant. Any ideas......Second question i have a set of vermiculite in a dish, how long could i put the turtle in there without being in water. Thanks
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

floating eggs? never heard of it but r they still in water?? get them out quickly and dig them in wet soil or something similar..they shouldn\'t stay in water since they might die when hatched
liamotoole9

YEah but how big should the eggs be....these are soft and are as small as jelly beans.......I am so confused as I have no idea whats going on. Someone told me the eggs are like this due to calcium deficienc..is that possibile.
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

If you found them after more than two hours, odds are they are already dead, sorry, the egg doesn\'t get oxygen if it stays in the water, and being transparent they are more than likely unfertil anyway so don\'t feel bad. Maybe next time.

As for the vermiculite question the following is a quote from turtlecare.net:
1. Remove eggs after laying. DO NOT TURN OVER THE EGGS. (It is OK to mark the top
with a magic marker or a bit of charcoal).

2. Incubate in a box with moistened Vermiculate (equal parts of water and vermiculite
BY WEIGHT). You get Vermiculate at garden centers. Make small depressions into the
vermiculite and an gently position the eggs. If eggs stick together, you may try
to separate them, but if they don\'t come apart easily, it\'s better to just leave
them alone.
This is their url:http://www.turtlecare.net/eggs.htm
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

it is confusing..maybe that\'s what they call goo? or it might be eggs i don\'t know..what did u do with them? and did u notice that ur girl is trying to dig into the ground?
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Second question i have a set of vermiculite in a dish, how long could i put the turtle in there without being in water. Thanks
The turtle doesn\'t have to stay with the eggs, after burying them she goes back about her buisness, as for the size of the egg, depends on the turtle size, if under 4 inches, jelly bean size is probably about right.
  • Information