Shedding good/bad?

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
cstanton819
Level 3
Level 3

I was just reading about turtles shedding too much which would make them grow too fast. My baby boy has shed twice since I\'ve had him (about 6 weeks) He is shedding right now but just the skin. i have been keeping his water at 82. I dont think that is too hot. i just thought he did it because he was a baby and he is growing.

How often should he shed? Is this too often? What should I do?
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

From what I have read on this forum, whater that is too hot (for them) can make them shed more often, whater should be under 80, about 75-78, I believe, remember, just because it feels cold to you doesn\'t mean it is too cold for them. Also make sure that his basking area is not too hot either.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

yes water that is too warm with inc. the shedding..another thing is that he\'s still a baby so u expect him to shed more often..warm water will make it excessive
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

If he\'s healthy, lowering the water temp to about 78F would be good. What are you feeding him, how much and how often?
cstanton819
Level 3
Level 3

He eats a half teaspoon of a mixture I made of: canteloupe, boiled egg white, romaine, and cooked shrimp. I made them into really small pieces so he can eat them (he doesn\'t seem to chew, just swallow everything whole.) I keep it in the fridge. and maybe 3x a week he gets beefheart the frozen kind. He eats every twelve hours.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

hmmm that seems like a good mix..how do u do it? does it become like pellets?
cstanton819
Level 3
Level 3

He will eat pellets. I give him some of those too. He eats reptomin baby (mini floating sticks) That is what they gave me at the pet store. but I read somewhere that I should give him a mix of other things so that he will grow properly.
I am about to stop feeding him as much. I think he is getting fat
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

u know ur turtle is fat when he can totally get into the shell and u can see it from his neck it gets chubby..u can also see chubby feet getting out from the shell holes
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Overflow:D
cstanton819
Level 3
Level 3

He never totally hides from me. When he goes in he just pulls his feet in. He always keeps his head out to see what I am doing. (he is awfully curious) But i say he is getting fat because he has a big butt!!
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

i know..i just read about the hiding thing that\'s why i mentioned it..mine has double chins and i put her on a diet every now and then
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

You\'re feeding him too much. The Reptomin Baby should be a staple in his diet and you can vary it with other things. For the pellets, a safe guide is to feed an amount equal to what would fit inside his head. Up to a year of age feed once a day. After a year of age feed every other day. Plant matter can be given daily in addition to the pellets. Stay away from iceberg lettuce, cabbage, spinach, broccoli. See http://www.tortoisetrust.org/articles/aquaticdiet.htm for feeding ideas
Last edited by mariza on Fri Dec 10, 2004 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Information