Quick Question

Discussions about turtles.
meniscous
Level 2
Level 2

Hello all, im new to this board so....Quick question. Im trying to introduce two turtles of relative size, about 3 years old, and the one seems really agressive, is this normal at first, or should I be alarmed
reptileman
Level 4
Level 4

once they get used to seeing each other, and being around each other, they should be fine. if there\'s any further hostility, you need to seperate them.
Last edited by reptileman on Mon Dec 06, 2004 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
meniscous
Level 2
Level 2

thanx, right now I put a plexiglass divider in a tank, so they can see eachother, would this help?
reptileman
Level 4
Level 4

yes, it will help as long as the turtles cannot climb over it.
meniscous
Level 2
Level 2

would it help tp drill some holes through it so their scent could be exchanged between the two before I place them together again!?
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

You can\'t really know if two turtles will get along. One thing that will help, however, is to have them in a tank/container that\'s large enough for them. Allow 10 gallons of tank per inch of shell length for each turtle. At three year of age, your turtles are 4-5 inches? If they\'re 4 inches, they should be in an 80-gallon tank, 5 inches in a 100-gallon tank. RES in particular (you didn\'t say what kind of turtle you have) are territorial and can get agressive if the space they\'re in is too small. The one turtle is seeing the newcomer as an intruder. Ideally, it would be good to introduce them in neutral territory (a new tank/container) with objects (plants, etc.) to break up their sight lines and places to go to for privacy. If you give them adequate space and the agression continues/escalates, they they will need to be separated. You should be concerned because one of them could get hurt.
meniscous
Level 2
Level 2

Oh, i understand and by the way. I believe they are midland painted turtles I rescued because a local marsh was going to be destroyed so I caught the two young turtles... It is a shame how many I couldnt have saved...
reptileman
Level 4
Level 4

that\'s a sad story but lots of people dislike and disrespect turtles.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

it\'s great of u to save them..they\'re slucky for having a caring owner:)

just give them some time..if there were lots of turtles then they must be social and can handle living in groups
  • Information