Light Strips and Glass tops

Post any questions you have about a turtle indoor setup here. Or if you have a link to your indoor setup picture we would love to see it.
kerflufle1
Level 1
Level 1

Just as a precaution...
I am about the purchase a whole setup, the box of the light strip said it was to only be used on aquariums with glass tops. Are there any made for tops without glass so the glass doesnt filter the light? --Or should I just get it and not worry about what it says? Thanks so much.
kerflufle1
Level 1
Level 1

I guess I would also like to know the best UV bulb to go in a strip. I want to just have the strip be the same length as the tank, probably 48\" long.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

hello kerflufle1..for the glass top i\'m not sure if it is ok or not maybe somone else here could help u with it..but if ur not comfortable with it then u can get the window screen (the one that keeps insects from coming in when the window is open) or anything similar to it..i saw many people using it for their setups,,it looks ok and everything seems fine
reptileman
Level 4
Level 4

Welcome to the allturtles forum! you\'ll like it here. the best thing to do is use a screen like dixiee said. I\'d use a screen if I still had some money lol!
yaya
Level 4
Level 4

for the brand of uvb...in all my reading about it everyone advice to buy the \"reptisun 5.0\" or \"iguana light\"..where i bought mine they didn\'t have reptisun so i\'m stuck with a \"repti-glow 5.0\"i look at the description of the uvb emit by the fluorescent and it is true that reptisun have a little bit more then the other brand...but personnally i think as long as u buy the fluorescent with 5.0 or more(like 7.0)it is good..i know that under 5.0(like2.0)the amount of uvb is not enought... sorry if it\'s confusing but i hope it answer ur question...and u can buy them in different lenght..
kerflufle1
Level 1
Level 1

Nope, not confusing, thanks to everyone for all the help.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

ur welcome:)
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

If you use a screen, make sure the holes are at least 1/8th of a inch, (any smaller and too much UVB light will be blocked out). Most people that use screens sit their lights on top of them over the basking area. For a strip light, I wouldn\'t use a screen or any other barrier. When a turtle is swimming in the water under a UVB light, the water itself will also be blocking some UVB rays, so why have two barriers (water and screen)? To be effective, the UVB light shouldn\'t be more than 12 inches from your turtle. The strip light (a Reptisun 5.0 is a good choice) is flourescent and doesn\'t get really hot, so, unlike the heat lamp, it should be able to withstand a little water if your turtles splash a little.
  • Information