Dry patches

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
Lilyth
Level 1
Level 1

Hello AGAIN,

I resently had a post entitled \"Is this Normal\" Well My RES actually has shed one of her scuted, and a few others look loose. The only this is the area she has shed look \"dry\" and diffrent from the rest of her shell. I am not sure if this is okay or not. I have looked at variouse pictures of \"Shell Rot\" & other shell problems, but it does not exacly look as bad as some of these pictures, however the pics may be of more advanced stages.

I have pictures of her shell, but are not sure how to post them.

Can anyone tell me how to get the pictures up, and let me know what there turtles shells looked like after the shedding process.

Help is greatly appreshiated, I am a little nervouse.

Happy Thanksgiving to all.

*Lilyth*
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

The pictures must first be on a webpage, I use Webshots.com, where I have started an album, once you have uploaded the pictures to your album, you go to that picture-right click-go down and click on properties-go to address(url)-copy the whole address and paste it in between the following: (img]--[/img) here\'s an example--(img]xxxxURLxxxx[/img) (don\'t leave any spaces in between)

Note: Use [ ] instead of ( ) the reason I used them is because if I used the correct ones it would assume you were trying to post a picture and you would end up with a small square with a red (X) in the middle.
I hope this explanation helps you out, looking forward to the pictures
Lilyth
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you, I will try that a little later.
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

That\'s what we\'re here for.:)
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

ok i know this is complicated so if u need any help in posting the pix u can send it to my email
[email protected]
i will do it for u..what are we here for:)
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

these are the pix..sorry lilyth i was a bit late posting them but i just checked my email

any idea?
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

and this is what i found..i think it is ur turtle\'s case cz as i can see in the pix there is a silver-metal-like color..that\'s ok don\'t worry:)

\"Shedding is a normal part of a turtle\'s life. They shed both skin and scutes regularly.

Scutes that are shed will often appear to lift up on the edges as they begin to release from the shell. Sometimes they will not come loose completely and air will get trapped underneath. This will give a metallic, copper-colored appearance underwater. This is normal. However, if the scute is not shed in an acceptable amount of time (usually a week or so), then you might want to gently assist the turtle in shedding these scutes. Most times, gentle pressure or a gentle brushing with a soft toothbrush will do the trick. Never try to remove a scute that is not ready to be shed. This can cause injury, bleeding and can oftentimes remove too much, leaving the bone and soft tissue open to infection. If your turtle is not shedding properly, then an evaluation of the diet is in order. Most times, failure to properly shed scutes falls back on a lack of vitamins in the diet, mainly Vitamin E. An increase in Vitamin E in their food is required.\"
Lilyth
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you so Much Dixieee.

I feel a bit better now. I am going to keep watching the shell. It\'s not getting worse!
Also, some areas do look a little coppery under water. So I am sure it\'s just a shedding issue. Maybe she needs more vitamins.

Anyhow I am sure you will see more posts from me in the, as I am a new \"paranoid\" turtle owner!
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

u r most welcome:) glad ur turtle is ok..btw how old is he/she? is it a bit old cz it\'s colors faded or is it from the camera only?
Lilyth
Level 1
Level 1

We really don\'t know how old she is. We guessed between 3-4, but she is not very bright in color. She is kind of olivy-brown. So maybe she is older.
Anyway to find out?
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

There really is no way to find out for sure, unless you saw it being born, but the following webpage might help you to guess how old he/she might be:
http://www.turtlecare.net/age.htm

I hope this helps you out:D
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

yeah might be 3-4 yrs but there\'s no exact way to know..size slightly determines but not much
Lilyth
Level 1
Level 1

Okay so I am going to ask you guys one more question and then I will leave you alone. For a while anyway :)

I bought this plastic plant to liven the tank up a little.
Unfortanitly Artamis (MY RES) spends all day under it, and is totally miserable when I take the plant out. She is pretty used to us by now, so I know she is not shy, but she spends her whole day hiding underthings. She hardly ever swims, and is not into basking. If it\'s not the plant it\'s a log (which I took out) or the filter in the tank. She is kind of lazy.
Do you think this is normal Turtle behavior?

Thanks Again,
*Lilyth*
yaya
Level 4
Level 4

do u have a heater for ur water?and u said she not really basking,is ur temp in the basking area warm enought?if ur temp and other setting are ok i would not worried too much..maybe like u said she\'s lazy and i know they appreciate a place to hide when they sleep(it\'s protection against predator)
but keep a eye on ur shedding,make sure it\'s really shedding.make sure it\'s not fungus or shell rot(the beginning stage can be real similar)...but even if u don\'t have question ur always welcome on the board..we love to listen to story with happy ending... :D
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Yeah, most of the talk we\'ve been doing really isn\'t about turtles, it has been more about emoticons-siggies and such:D
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

oh yes stray we\'re fooling around everywhere on this board although we\'re supposed to do it in the \"anything goes\" section Image
Last edited by dixieee on Wed Dec 01, 2004 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lilyth
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks guys,

Well her thermomiter is a little under 80% though her water always seems cold to me, but I am sure the thermomiter is correct, and I do have a water heater. I have one of those bulbs that are supposed to be like real sun, I forgot what brand it is, I think repto-sun but it does not seem overly hot underneath. any recomendations on bulbs?

I actually took her out of the water today becuase I thought she might be getting water logged :) and the tips of her sctues all seem loose so I am hoping she is just shedding and lazy and I don\'t have a sick child :(
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

I have the same disagreement with my thermometer, it says 78 and my hand says 60, I know the thermometer is right but I still have my doubts.Image
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

don\'t fully trust them..they don\'t always read the correct measurements..i read once that u have to inc. the temp. a little bcz it always reads more than the real one..don\'t worry lylith, ur child must be growing with all that shedding:)
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

(SHEDDING SCUTES)
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

green is shedding skin..will it come to a day she will shed her scutes or there are types of shedding depending on the turtle?
  • Information