Thers a bigbum on her neck/cheek

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
Stacey79

My baby turtle who is about to turn 1 year old soon has a big bump on her neck/cheek and i dont know what it is. I am very scared. i am only 11 yeras old and i dont know what to do! Please help me!
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

hi stacey:)
don\'t worry ur turtle is fine and what she has in an ear abscesses which is very normal and happens to turtles exactly like people..

first, i assume it looks like one of these right?
or this
or maybe this

ok if it is any of these or a similar one then read that small paragraph:

this is something about what ur turtle has: \"Lumps appearing on either side of the turtle\'s head - oftentimes both sides - is a sure sign of an ear abscess. This does not mean that you are doing anything wrong with your habitat or your care. Just like with people, sometimes bacteria enters the body and there is nothing that can be done to prevent it. Don\'t feel like you have done something wrong, because you most likely haven\'t...just get it taken care of.\"

now this is what to do: \"Treatment usually consists of nothing more than a simple trip to the vet, though some have done it at home. The typical reason for this is water quality (in aquatics) and humidity and temperature conditions (in terrestrial species). Oral and systemic meds are most times useless at treating this type of infection and an incision over the infection is required. Although this can be done at home, it is recommended that a vet is utilized as there is pain involved for the turtle and an anesthesia is preferred.

Most times, the vet will place the turtle under anesthesia and make an incision along the lump. The vet will drain the infected area and then rinse the area, ensuring that all of the material is removed.

If the infection has solidified, then the vet will need to remove the hard clump-like material in addition to the fluid build-up and then flush with a cleansing solution.

After the operation, no stitches are required and the turtle should be kept separate and in a dry container for the next few days, with only 1-2 hour swims in fresh, clean water each day. After a few days, all should be back to normal and the turtle can then be placed back into the habitat\"

if u can take it to the vet then that\'s great and it is easy..if u can\'t then let someone do it for her but make sure of what to do exactly (ask a pet shop for example)
ok so good luck and tell us what happens with ur little girl
  • Information