My turtle wont swallow his food...

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
Mojo

I have 4 turtles and i feed them pellets. I feed them 2 at a time, and one of them swims around seemingly eating all he can, but he doesnt swallow it. he puts all he can in his mouth and eventually its too much for him and he rubs at his mouth and coughs it up. I think hes getting some down, but im not sure. I tried feeding him alone and he still does it...so i guess its not because of the other turtles, unless it was out of habit. Is there anything i can do? has this happened to anyone elses sliders?
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

\"Coughing Stuff Up

If your turtle coughs or \'spits\' up material, there is a need for immediate attention, unless it is food during eating. Turtles may regurgitate their food if they eat too much too fast, especially if the food items are large (large crickets, large fish, etc). If the material appears to be white of appears to be like shed skin, there is a good chance, although not definite, that your turtle has a lung infection, that could possibly be necrotizing pneumonia. This needs immediate veterinary assistance. Also take note that this could also be a sign of Stomatitis (see below). \"

a part of this is good (the normal thing part) but i advice u to break down the piece into smalles pieces and put one at a time so if he\'s eating fast (which i think is what happening from what u said that he puts all what he can in his mouth) then he\'ll not have the chance but eat and swallow to get a new piece..
hope this helps
  • Information