Is this normal

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
Lilyth
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All, hope I can get some help with this!

I am a new RES owner, and to say the least I am always nervouse that something is wrong.

Today when I picked up my RES I noticed that on her side where the top part of her shell meets with the underneath it was \"Loose\" kind of like a peeling finger nail to describe it best. I am not sure if this is shedding? OR I have a UV light installed, but she never baskes on the rocks. Is she getting \"Soft Shell\"

help much appreshiated!
Thank you in advance :)
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

what is the size of ur RES? if it is still a hatchling then having a soft shell is normal (a bit soft not jelly)..or it might be shedding..try squeezing the edges..what do u feel? is it soft? if it feels normal then it might be shedding..
yeah btw..a new RES might be shy or insecure at the beginning so give it some time till it starts basking

good luck:)
Lilyth
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you for getting back to me.
I am not exacly sure how old she is, We are assuming she is between 2-3, but I am not sure. The area does not feel soft exacly, but maybe flakey! kind of like you could push the skin upward

she was inherited to me from a co-worker who could not care for her properly. she never had her in PROPER CONDITIONS, not that I have this super set up the turtle has no idea what going on. I have only had her for about three weeks, but she is a stange little turltle she likes to sit under the water falling from the filter most of the time. I think she forgot how to be a turtle :)
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

lol poor girl..ok i think this is shedding bcz it is a bit older than having soft shell diseases (hopefully)
has she been eating normally during the last three weeks? i think she\'s ok just give her some time:)
Lilyth
Level 1
Level 1

Ya like a pig,

I heard that you really have to give them live food. We are animal lovers in my house, and kind of feel bad doing so. She seems to really like freeze dried krill and the food sticks.
Will she get enough nutrients from this, is it okay not giving her bugs and fish?

thanks for your help, feeling better all ready
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

ok that\'s great:)
i don\'t think she still needs live food at that age..green leaves will do but it would be good to give her something as a treat from time to time
yaya
Level 4
Level 4

krill should be a treat but pellet should be a staple...if u give the turtle a good diet i don\'t think not giving live food(except for entertainment) is a big deal...most of the live food have a high content in protein so i should be give as treat also..too many protein make ur turtle growing too fast..
  • Information