Not sure what to do...

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
mpeirson17
Level 1
Level 1

- Mike
Last edited by mpeirson17 on Fri Nov 19, 2004 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

ok first of all it\'s good to be that responsible:)
second check this site www.austinsturtlepage.com

u\'ll find many info. about box turtles and i\'ll look for other sites..but i have few questions b4:
1- was it ok with it\'s previous owner? (eat, drink, active,...)
2- why didn\'t u take the setup with it?
3- do u have any idea about its age, sex..?
mpeirson17
Level 1
Level 1

Ok to answer your questions...
I have no clue about the previous owner.. He was a friend of my father who obviously didnt want it anymore. I asked my father and he said all the guy did was leave the turtle in the backyard and occasionally feed it so I am assuming he didn\'t really pay much attention to it. I don\'t think there was really a setup.. as he just let it roam around in his back yard. I have no idea about its age or sex or anything, I am not sure how to tell those things.. I have it sitting in an empty room in my house right now I dont want to leave it outside its pretty cold out there I am just afraid for it because I dont want it to die.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

no u can\'t keep it outside in that weather without a heater..actually i don\'t know if box turtles have heaters in their setups but why to take the risk
there\'s that other forum..they have special sections for each type of turtles and i\'m sure they\'ll help u
www.turtletimes.com
go to the forums and check
mpeirson17
Level 1
Level 1

Ok, I mean I think the weather tonight here is only like 45 degrees but I dont want to risk it. I\'ll check that turtletimes website out. A friend of mine looked at my turtle and said it looks like a tortoise. Its either that or a box turtle. I think I am going to take it to a vet first thing tomorrow and have it checked out and get all the info on it.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

great that u can afford taking it to the vet..could u post pictures? that can help too
mpeirson17
Level 1
Level 1

I cant exactly afford that but I\'ll have to borrow the money to do it from somebody because I dont think I really have much other choice than to take it to a vet. I\'ll post some pictures tomorrow.
mpeirson17
Level 1
Level 1

Here are the pictures.. theyre not very good quality Ill try to get some better pictures.

http://img51.exs.cx/img51/2240/IMG_0114.jpg

http://img51.exs.cx/img51/4104/IMG_0115.jpg
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

seems it is easy to take care of land turtles so why not try and keep it:)
Last edited by dixieee on Sat Nov 20, 2004 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mpeirson17
Level 1
Level 1

Ok i checked out one of the pages and I\'m going to try my hand at this. I\'m a bit worried though the turtle hasnt moved at all it seems to be asleep. It\'s head is about half-way out of its shell and it hasnt moved. I dont know if its sleeping or if it is dead. I made a hibernation box.. maybe it is trying to hibernate. It tried to dig a few holes when it was outside and bury itself in them. The previous owner says its around 10 years old too. I was looking at some tortoises at the pet store today and this thing looks just like the ones they had there so I dont know if its a box turtle or not..
mpeirson17
Level 1
Level 1

Ok, I just went and checked on her and touched her and she \"hissed\" at me it seems she is trying to sleep. I just dont know if shes trying to hibernate or not.. Should I not feed her? the thing i read says to soak the turtle in some luke warm water so they arent dehydrated before putting them into hibernation.. I think im going to try this.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

ok sorry i might have given u a false identification but i know nothing about land turtles..good it\'s responding but r u sure ur ready to hibernate it? did u learn enough about hibernation? good luck:)
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Won\'t soaking it in warm water bring it back from hibernation? Go to the following site for more information about hibernating your turtle, scroll down to about the middle of the page to the section on hibernation:

http://www.tortoisetrust.org/articles/articles.html

I hope this helps you.
mpeirson17
Level 1
Level 1

Oh yeah.. I am also deciding to not allow it to hibernate this year, not when I dont know enough about it. Maybe next year.
Last edited by mpeirson17 on Sun Nov 21, 2004 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

but it is still eating right? that\'s an important thing..
keep reading and i hope someone here has any idea about land turtles
mpeirson17
Level 1
Level 1

The other night I thought I spotted it eating from its foodbowl, it was hunched over on top of it and I think i saw it moving its mouth, but I could be wrong. Other than that I havent really noticed it eating any of its food. I usually try and feed it some grated carrots and Romain lettuce or snap peas. Ill try some other mixtures of food and see if it will eat, if it doesnt then I know I need to find a way to get it to the vet.

- Mike
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

when i got my turtle he didn\'t eat for about a week at the beginning..new turtles might be shy so they won\'t eat when anyone\'s around or also might not eat at all..but finally they will starve and get used to it
try finding a way to see if it is eating
mpeirson17
Level 1
Level 1

ok ill try and see if its eating, also.. do they usually sleep alot when theyre new?
it doesnt look to be drinking either
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Is this what it looks like, if so go to the following Website for more info on russian tortoise:
http://www.tortoisetrust.org/articles/russiantort.htm

There is a couple of links at the bottom of the page. Good luck.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

i don\'t know but maybe it is sleeping bcz since it\'s not eating then it doesn\'t have enough energy to do anything else..maybe it is from the weather..
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

I think he\'s trying to hibernate because he keeps trying to dig a hole in the dirt in the back yard. I just don\'t want him to die because I dont know how to care for him. It\'s really cold outside so i put him in the house..
- Mike

The following is from the Tortoise Trust Web:
Other Aspects of Behaviour

Upon purchase, Delilah was extremely nervous as indicated by her tendency to urinate upon handling. Over the months she has become more used human presence and by July was confident enough to go to the food dish even as the food was being placed in the indoor pen. Urination during handling has now stopped although we try to minimise contact. The vendor claimed that she was captive bred, but the apparent early handling distress has suggested to us that she was a wild import.

As already described, activity during the hottest part of summer days was curtailed in preference to seeking shade. Peak activity was therefore during the morning and later afternoon. This was sometimes mirrored indoors by a desire to retreat to the pallet despite illumination by both UV and basking lamps. During September and October, the lighting timers have been adjusted to reduce the length of the day in accordance with Delilah’s natural reduction in eating and activity. October has seen her retire to the pallet as early as 2:00pm, sometimes to emerge again briefly but often not. The lighting timers are set at 7:30am to 4:30pm for mid-October as she is clearly ‘winding down’ for the winter and we will aim for hibernation to start in early December.

So what about the cases of the disappearing Horsfield? This happened on two occasions. The first was when we allowed Delilah to have ‘free range’ run of the garden to look for food. We took our eyes of her for a few moments and she vanished. After minutes of increasingly frantic searching, she emerged from a rocky corner quite oblivious to our mounting distress and several metres away from where we left her. We were amazed at the distance she covered in such a short time leading us to believe that we may have the fastest tortoise in the west (of Sheffield anyway).

The second occasion was more mysterious as it occurred when she was in the secure outside run. Upon a routine check on her, there was nothing short, round with shell and four legs to be seen. How could she have disappeared from such a safe environment? A clue was in the disturbed dry earth by the rocks which make up the base of the stone shelter. She had dug a burrow underneath the very shelter we had made for her to sleep in and back-filled it to seal the entrance. Our apparently AWOL tortoise had constructed her own basement residence complete with water-conserving microclimate. Nature superior to human design. The moral of these two summer stories is: tortoises can run and hide.

This is the link to that article:
http://www.tortoisetrust.org/articles/russiantort.htm

Sounds kinda like your experience with your turtle trying to hide.
mpeirson17
Level 1
Level 1

Well she\'s eating now.. and eating alot. I dont know why, but when I placed her food dish near the basking lamp so there was alot of light near it, she walked over and ate everything.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

cool..and is she still sleepy?
  • Information