Changing tank for RES

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
puregold
Level 1
Level 1

Hi.. it\'s me again.

Just a question. Since now my RES are in very good shape, eating basking, and healthy, i have bought a filter, tank and other accessories and now i am planning to upgrade/change their tank. The one right now they are in is rather a small plastic box, and now i have a tank that is a little smaller than a 10 gallon, which is more than sufficient for them, however, i am wondering if there\'s a good way to introduce this new area/home to 2 of my turtles, other than just dropping them in the new tank.

Any suggestions is good... Thank you!
EarthVsJazz

I\'m lucky enough to have never had a problem introducing new turtles or a new tank. I have 1 that I bought together and about after a year later I introduced the other. Now I\'m not talking about a 10 gallon tank either. I have a pretty big tank, about 56 gallons. Wide too. So I don\'t know. Personally I would just make sure that when you put them in just keep an eye on them.
- Ed
bonnie_lynn2001
Level 3
Level 3

HOW BIG ARE THEY?(THE TURTLES)
puregold
Level 1
Level 1

they are both about 1.5\".. hmm maybe i just needa try and see what happens when i drop them in
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

move them gradually at the beginning..like put them in the new tank for part of the day..i know it\'s hard especially if ur moving all the \"furniture\" they had in the old tank to the new one..or maybe they\'ll get used to it more easily if u put them in their old home at feeding times for the first couple of days..or who know,,maybe ur turts are too sweet and will adopt to their new environment quickly:)

good luck:)
puregold
Level 1
Level 1

Hey i have changed their tanks now.. and there\'s a few questions rite now... but it\'s probably they are still new to the environment but.. one big thing wanna ask:

When i give them food, the food floats on top on the water rite? when they bite it.. they have nothing to stand on.. so they have to swim and eat at the same time..

sometimes it difficult for them to eat. and i notice there\'s left over food at the bottm, soo meybe i have bitten it once, then left the food and the food sank to the bottom..

hmmm any comments?
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

if u think it\'s difficult for them then put the food close to their basking rocks..i don\'t face this problem with my turtles since first one of them eats like cows..she would jump to get food and would eat wherever! the other guy swims, catshes the food, then he sinks to the bottom to eat..he sometimes eats the leftovers if he was able to get them b4 the other one

as long as they\'re eating don\'t worry..they will have to manage those things..i made my turtle learn how to get food when he wasn\'t able to get a grip on it at first..now he\'s better than before but still needs to learn more
  • Information