I need a change

Discussions about turtles.
rodeo144
Level 3
Level 3

Ive been dealing with snappers for a long time, I think it is time for a new turtle, I have narrowed it down to either a RES, Mud/Musk turtle, a painted turtle, a Map turtle, Or any kind of turtle that doesnt get too big and can thrive in a 20 gallon long or a 30 gallon tank. Im buying off of www.turtle-town.com or www.turtlepimp.com when he is ready to begin selling again.
Last edited by rodeo144 on Mon Nov 08, 2004 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
yaya
Level 4
Level 4

ok,i know that i know nothing about snapper but i don\'t understand(i a way i do,the size)why u send back snapper to the wild...i mean cause u take care of them and feed them ect...is in it like send them to their own death??or cause they get so big u keep them in a kind of wild life??i hope u understand what i mean...i can\'t find the proper word in english for what i want to ask...
rodeo144
Level 3
Level 3

Your asking me why i would sned my baby back to the wild after keeping him for so long. Your saying that it is basically sending him to his own death. I understand what you mean, I really need to change my thing at the bottom of my post then. My parents thought since i caught a wild baby snapper that it would just be here for the winter and no longer. So i will not be letting my baby go. Im asking about new turtles for the tanks my parents are going to make me buy for my snapper as he gets older. To explain my situation would be hard but ill try my best.

First all my older snappers are at my friends houses they have adequate housing for them. Second my parents think by buying a 250 gallon pond is too much for a turtle and are making me buy smaller upgrade tanks *right now i have a 10 and am gettin a 20 long then a 55 then a 90 then to a pond* So i already have a ten gallon tank left over for another baby turtle keep in mind im gettin a 20 long in a couple weeks. Third i am keeping my baby snapper and all my others im just saying i have never tried to raise another type of turtle. DONT YOU THINK I KNOW THE RISKS OF LETTING MY CHILDREN GO? lol

So i just want to know what other kind i should get out of the listed above.
yaya
Level 4
Level 4

i badly explain myself...i didn\'t talk about ur baby it was more in a generally way...(and maybe cause of ur signature too)..like everithink i read about releasing turtles in the wild sound like it\'s really not good and no one should do it...so my question was more like is it different cause they are snapper and they get so big or the same \"rule\"should apply??
and if u want other turtle keep in mind that u gonna heve to upgrade ur tank too..like a female res u can start with a 10/20 gallon but in no time u have to go to 50/70g even 120g(for a female)..and more turtle u have the more money they gonna cost..maybe u can use ur leftover tank to raise the \"living food\" u need for ur snapper??(suggestion)
sorry for the long post..:)
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

first..about letting turtles go,, it\'s not always to death..if there\'s a good place for them ( a safe pond in a park or something) i think it\'s better for them to go..they need big space to play,swim,bask and do other things..but for me NO i never think of letting them away cz people here don\'t understand such things..

second..nice idea to get a new baby for the tank..RES\'s are really cool and friendly turtles but they grow quickly that u\'ll need to update their tank b4 ur snapper\'s! but i read in a post b4 that there is a turtle that doesn\'t get very big (no more than 4 inches) but i don\'t remember which one..i\'ll try finding it..

yaya suggested a very good idea too..but if ur looking for fun then the living food aint fun

good luck anyways and keep us posted:)
rodeo144
Level 3
Level 3

Dixeee its a mississippi mud turtle and i was thinking of getting one of them because they can thrive in a 20gallon long tank which i will be getting soon. Oh yea dixeee look on Turtletimes.com i noticed you registed there. Im minion of 41 2 u incase you needed to know.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

yes i did
ok see u around then:)
  • Information