baby slider diet

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
bjbivs

I have a baby slider (1 1/2-2 inches long) that I caught in the wild. He has the proper setup, i.e. heater, uvb lighting, basking area/lamp, filter, 10 gal. aquarium, etc. Although he is shedding quickly and this causes me some concern, my main worry is about his diet. It\'s not that he (she?) won\'t eat--he\'ll take as many red wigglers as I give him and still wants more--but he seems to have no interest in any leafy plant or fruit material or in calcium (cuttlebone). I gutload his worms with a calcium/vitamin supplement, and he\'ll eat floating sticks of reptivite, but as I\'ve read that plants/fruits should be a major part of the diet, I\'m not sure this is adequete. He does seem very healthy, and isn\'t shy at all, so I\'m probably just paranoid, but could anyone give me some advice on the veggie/calcium thing?

Thanks
Brett
Level 1
Level 1

It sounds to me like he is growing. I have had my RES for about 4 months and he has doubled in size.Mine started out about the size of yours and he is now just shy of 3 inches. Also, baby res are more carnivorous while they are young. That explains why he doesnt want the leafy vegetables. Try fruit (grapes, berries) and carrots. Also, give him baby crickets!
Debi S.
Level 2
Level 2

I wouldn\'t worry too much about him not eating his veggies. Keep offering them to him. Mine are alomost two and they hate veggies still. I try to offer them a variety and sometimes they will nibble at them - but moslty it is a no go still. Keep up with what you are doing and eventually he may start to eat them. But as a baby he probably won\'t.
  • Information