Is it ok for my RES to eat this way?

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
sai_dee
Level 1
Level 1

I have 2 baby 1.25-1.5\" RES that I had for about a month or 2. They used to eat the Reptomin baby pellets, but now after I fed them Reptotreat shrimps, beef, blood worms, guppies, meal worms.....they seem totally uninterested in the Reptomin. Should I give them what they want? Or should I starve them to eat the Reptomin? I already starved them for about a day or 2 and they seem to only eat about a half or 1 pellet a day.
rodeo144
Level 3
Level 3

If they dont want the reptomin then just give them worms or other live foods. It\'s sometimes not good to give them what they dont want, its like putting you in a glass box with only these reeeallly dried out bad tasting things. Feed mealworms and earth worms or whatever you find suitable for them. Gold fosh are a no no cause the are fatty minnows are pretty good and you can get them at a live bait shop.
sai_dee
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for the advice, I don\'t feed them gold fish anyways. The gold fishes are wayyy too big for them! They can\'t even catch the guppies I feed them, so I have to kill them first. I\'ll get them some wax worms, will those work? I appreciate any info you can give me.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Turtles have no concept of nutritional balance so you have to. The Reptomin should be a staple in their diet and alternated with the other foods you said they like. Giving them only what they like will insure they\'ll become fussy eaters (as they already are starting to be) and most likely eventually result in a vitamin deficiency and health problems.
sai_dee
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks mariza, I think I got it. I gave them what they want and now they seem to accept the Reptomin in their diet. I guess this is how it\'ll work, offer them some variety and then some staple.
bonnie_lynn2001
Level 3
Level 3

I GIVE MINE REPTO. EVERY DAY AND OTHER STUFF FOR TREATS
LIKE VEGGIES FRUITS WORMS CHICKEN EVERY ONCE AND A WHILE
  • Information