Turtle wants to sleep, but not eat

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
katie365
Level 1
Level 1

My Dad and I found a small turtle 3 weeks ago on the golf course and we
brought him home as we thought he was going to die.
My Dad had noticed over a period of about 1 week whilst playing golf each
day, that something was up with this little guy as he would always be
staying on the bank of the pond and when approached would not swim away but
act very dosile, quiet and we thought maybe that he was a tame pet.
We took him to the local vet, he said he had some infection and recommended we take
him home try to get him to take some vitimin gel that he had prescribed for
him and that we should generally care for him over the next 3-4 weeks at
home.
Since he has been at home with us although a bit happier, he has made very
little improvement , we cannot get him to eat anything and most of the day
he just wants to sleep.
Reading on some web-sites ( kid\'s page for hibernation )maybe he wants to hibernate, he seems to be very
cold, looks almost as if he\'s about to drop off to sleep or die. Should he
go into hibernation, can we do this at home, how can we help him ???
Other turtles seem to be still active in the ponds at the golf course, wereas our
guy seems to be really mixed up and confused, SO ARE WE !!
Portugal has a rather mild climate in winter.
Can you give us some sound advise on how we can help him ?

Many Thanks

Katie Hose
Age 10
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

ok let us see..first i don\'t think he wants to hibernate..well maybe he does but he\'s not acting that way bcz he does..a sick turtle usually wants to sleep only and not eat..just give him the rest he needs and don\'t bother him by waking him up or moving him a lot..when he\'s fine he\'ll eat and fill all the past days he didn\'t..so do\'t worry as long as the vet said it\'s not serious

but u didn\'t mention what infection the turtle has
katie365
Level 1
Level 1

dixieee wrote:
ok let us see..first i don\'t think he wants to hibernate..well maybe he does but he\'s not acting that way bcz he does..a sick turtle usually wants to sleep only and not eat..just give him the rest he needs and don\'t bother him by waking him up or moving him a lot..when he\'s fine he\'ll eat and fill all the past days he didn\'t..so do\'t worry as long as the vet said it\'s not serious

but u didn\'t mention what infection the turtle has
katie365
Level 1
Level 1

We were not told what type of infection he had, on the day that we took him to the vet he was quite lively, probably all that moving about and think it must be at least 3 weeks since he has eaten anything. The last 3-4 days he\'s hardly been awake and we have had to wake him up to try and get his vitimns down him, should we just leave him and for how long ? We are keeping him indoors in a provisional sort of tank/container with water and a couple of stones etc. Should we keep him as warm as possible ? The outside temp. currently is about 16-20°c and when it\'s Sunny it gets up to about 23-24°c, when it\'s this warm we put him outside for the day. Otherwise, indoors is on an average between 17°-20°c through the day-time but drops considerably during the night. Are these conditions making him think he should hibernate or just sleep all the time, should we keep his tank/water at a certain and constant temperature ?
Thanks
Katie
yaya
Level 4
Level 4

i know a hatchling under 3 years old should not hibernate...but that\'s for a home pet,for a wild turtle i don\'t know if is the same...but if he\'s sick u should maybe keep it,he might no survive a winter outside. ur water temp in the tank should be around 75F/24C normally but he sick so it should be between 81/83F // 27/29C..and he need a light to bask under to keep him warm(they cold blooded animal)a 60 watt lightbulb set 6 to 12 inch above the basking spot should do..try to keep it around 92F/33C(cause he sick)u have to watch out the temp so doesn\'t get too hot(u don\'t wanna burn him) have a little look at the care sheet to give u a idea how to set-up the enclosure for him... hope he get back on his feets soon...
katie365
Level 1
Level 1

This message was posted back in November 2004, I notice that about 84 or so people have viewed my message/question, is it still possible to view all of their comments.

Kind regards

katie
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Well, 80 people may have read it but it doesn\'t mean that they all had a comment, alot of the time I will read the posts and if I see that everything is pretty much in control and I don\'t have anything to add or another question, I will just read and move on to the next.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

yep but how are the things goin\' with the little guy now??

We are are very worried about him and don\'t really know what we should do next. We have kept him indoors over winter in a make-shift tank thinking that this was his hibernation time, but, he will still not respond to feeding and still doesn\'t want to do anything else but sleep. We recently cleaned out his tank and because it was a really nice day we let him bask in the sun-shine for a couple of hours, this also did not seem to appeal! since cleaning his tank out small amounts of bubbles have been forming in his tank and also around his shell, is this a bad sign? He hasn\'t eaten since we found him back in October 2004, what do you advise? we need some HELP please!

Regards

xBarryx
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

that doesn\'t sound very good..sorry for that but maybe u\'ll have to take him to the vet again and try to get all the info. about his case..

good luck and keep us posted
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Edit: sorry this is the best i could get, i don\'t know what\'s wrong with it, maybe it\'s cz the connection is miserable now and i can\'r access it at home
Last edited by dixieee on Thu Apr 14, 2005 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

That picture didn\'t finish uploading to photobucket, I get those once in a while, usually when I have been online for a while and I get cut off, you can retry uploading and maybe it will finish that time.

It kinda looks like a yellowbelly, but the face doesn\'t.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

STRAYKINGFISHER wrote:
It kinda looks like a yellowbelly, but the face doesn\'t.
that\'s why i thought it might be a cooter instead..

i can\'t get a better one cz i\'m using a dial-up connection and there\'s only one service provider in here so u can imagine how poor the lines are..i can hardly reply on topics to upload pix ($#%#^#!@#!#$#)
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

ImageImageImage
Dixieee!
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

he he i was joking:D
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5