what if we dont want RES babies??

Here you can direct all your questions about turtle breeding and what to do about those eggs you found that your turtle laid.
baby_tampa_res
Level 1
Level 1

right now, we only have one young RES, but are planning on getting at least one more very soon, for companionship. our concern is mating and eggs. i see all this talk about breeding, mating, nests, incubation, and all that, but what if we dont want the hassle and responsibility of eggs/hatchlings? i dont have another res to compare ours with, but it does seem to have a longer tail, and very obvious front claws, so we assume it is a boy. do we just take it to the pet store and ask which sex it is, and try to get another same sex, or if we do get opposite sex, is there a way to control breeding, or fertilized egg laying? - WE NEED RES BIRTH CONTROL! - what do you guys suggest?
yaya
Level 4
Level 4

i wouldn\'t just rely on that but i read somewhere that res female are not mature sexually before 5 years old...and i think for the male is 3 years old...putting same sex in the tank might work with female if they around the same size but if they don\'t have enought space u might end up with a territory problem..and that can happen with opposite sexe too...
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

well guess what..females can still lay eggs even without mating!!
but i think it\'s still early for such things..u mentioned that the turtle is young so it isn\'t >2 yrs for sure..especially a RES would be big at that time..
for the \"birth control\" they won\'t think of anything unless u provide the suitable environment for them (dec. water temp) don\'t do it and they aren\'t supposed to think of anything..
but still who knows!
baby_tampa_res
Level 1
Level 1

yeah, this one is about 1.5 inches at most. i know, i know, ILLEGAL! we wanted a baby so our 3 year old son (daddy and mommy too) could watch one grow up. anyway, i am also thinking that frequent water changes, and gravel rotation would probably keep any eggs from hatching, but i dont want to be a baby killer. from here, i want to ask, are there really specific situations and environments in which res can reproduce, and as long as we dont provide the right conditions, they wont lay fertilized eggs? tell me it is so? thanks for the input and help - and we thought a couple of turtles were gonna be easier and cheaper than a fish tank HA HA !!
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

a 1.5\" still has minimum 3 yrs to go..don\'t worry no babies for some time
yaya
Level 4
Level 4

baby_tampa_res wrote:
- and we thought a couple of turtles were gonna be easier and cheaper than a fish tank HA HA !!
Big surprise,:p(way more work,way more expensive)but u said u have it for 2 year and it\'s only 1.5 inch...in wide or lenght?
cause u make me wonder if mine is too big...
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

but no comparison between turtles and fish..they\'re more fun
baby_tampa_res
Level 1
Level 1

no, yaya, we have had it for about 4 DAYS now, not years, sorry for the confusion. and , dixieee, i couldnt agree more, i cant believe how cool it is. i think i check on tampa more than i did when our newborn son came home! he is too cool. seems to have a personality already, and i love how he already recognizes the food jar, and gets kind of excited when it is time to feed him!! there is no fish in the world that is as cute as our new baby!!
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

yeah they are the cutest creatures..i disovered that after i got them..and yes i imagine i can\'t love my own babies more (still don\'t have)
m1key72988
Level 3
Level 3

when breeding res they need a box filled with dirt to lay boxes in, at that age they cant breed but if they do lay eggs that are fertile in the future than you can just freeze this or throw them out. Before you jump to conclusions alot of people reccomend not keepin res eggs because there are tooooooo common and already many need homes. If the eggs are layed in water and not removed within the first few hours they will drown, also females can and do lay infertile eggs without mating. Just make sure she doesnt become eggbound or it can kill her.
yaya
Level 4
Level 4

m1key72988 wrote:
when breeding res they need a box filled with dirt to lay boxes in, at that age they cant breed but if they do lay eggs that are fertile in the future than you can just freeze this or throw them out. Before you jump to conclusions alot of people reccomend not keepin res eggs because there are tooooooo common and already many need homes. If the eggs are layed in water and not removed within the first few hours they will drown, also females can and do lay infertile eggs without mating. Just make sure she doesnt become eggbound or it can kill her.
ok..now i\'m confused...so when exactly a female res can be fertile,not laying eggs,but having hatchling in those eggs?that go with the size or age?cause i read the 5years old think in austin\'s page...
  • Information