sally says \"study sea shell safety\" - ??

Post any questions you have about a turtle indoor setup here. Or if you have a link to your indoor setup picture we would love to see it.
baby_tampa_res
Level 1
Level 1

i was wondering if there is any danger to putting sea shells in the tank with my res? we didnt know, and ended up killing quite a few fresh water fish by putting sea shells in an aqurium. the pet store said its not just the salt residue, but something that the shells are made of, that hurts the fish, can these be bad for turts too? - concerned for tampa\'s safety
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

hmmm never thought of it..if it\'s about salt then u can clean them well (keep them in water for a couple of days until completely removed)..
but btw it raised a question in here..do water turtles (not the huge sea ones) live in salty water or only lakes and ponds?
Trailrider
Level 4
Level 4

I wouldn\'t put a sea shell in with my turtle. If you have a really, really, pretty one, you could set it OUTSIDE the tank. And they have very pretty shells at pet stores. Hope this helps (don\'t kill your turt because of ignorance). :)
Last edited by Trailrider on Fri Oct 29, 2004 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
buffomoves

I had to register just so I can reply to this post because I think you all should know something. I have a RES in the same tank as tropical fresh water fish. I keep it clean with my bio wheel 125 and I have had know deaths in either species. AND.. I have tons of sea shells in the tank! I did make sure I scrubed them really well before I put them in the tank but I have had no problems. My turtle is about 9 months old now and most of my fish are about 1 year.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

thanx buffomoves:)
i don\'t know but why to take the risk..i had some colorful stones that my turtles hated..i built them a small tunnel out of it and i found it collapsed the next day and i know they did it..BAD TURTLES..but they were punished

anyways i thought of shells at first but i was worried when i read this topic..and it came exactly in time!
  • Information