Hello! My name is Kat!

Discussions about turtles.
ILOVETHEBRADYS!

I have a baby turtle. I think it is a box turtle, at least my husband thinks so. Bobby is about 2 inches long and he has brown eyes and a brown shell. His feet have short claws and are like an elephant\'s. (I got all the compairisons from the what turtle am I board). But the problem is he has gluky stuff in his eyes. He\'s in a 5 gallon tank, half water and half sand. But the water gets dirty easily, so I have to clean the tank often. I feed him lettace, but he doesn\'t seem to like it much. I\'ve had him for about 4 months. I got him on the side of the road, I thought he might get run-over. I live in Missouri, near Smithsville. Thanks (in addvance) for everyones help!

Kat, mother of two (turtle and kid)
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

hello kat welcome on the board:)

have u been feeding ur turtle only lettuce for the whole 4 months?? why not trying shrimps for example? he\'s still a baby and needs some more proteins
ILOVETHEBRADYS!

Do you buy shrimp at the pet store? I don\'t think I\'ve seen it before. Is lettace bad?! I thought it was what turtles ate! I don\'t want to hurt little Bobby. Do you think I did?
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

no don\'t worry all green leaves are good but not to totally rely on them especially if it\'s still a baby..turtle pellets are needed and mmm canned tuna fish,boiled chicken..what else..but for shrimps am not sure
ILOVETHEBRADYS!

I tried some tuna fish, and he loved it! It seemed like he would like to eat it forever. How much should I give him? Abd should I still give him lettace? Is half and half good? Thank you!

Kat
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

yeah just balance them..that\'s great
and u will have to estimate when is it enough
yaya
Level 4
Level 4

ILOVETHEBRADYS! wrote:
I tried some tuna fish, and he loved it! It seemed like he would like to eat it forever. How much should I give him? Abd should I still give him lettace? Is half and half good? Thank you!

Kat
tuna fish,shrimp ect. should be a treat and no be give too often(high protein content)the pellets should be a staple in the diet...lettuce are good but not iceburg... and u can find the shrimp in pet store,reptile section usually...
good luck with little Bobby
and check out this site too,u might find some good info and picture...
www.austinsturtlepage.com
Trailrider
Level 4
Level 4

Hiya Kat!

My name\'s Kim and I know a lot about boxies. Feed Bobby a large leaf of lettace (not iceberg), about 1-2 pellets of box turtle food, fruit (strawberries, apples, things he\'ll eat) in small portions, and as a treat, a tiny piece of tuna everyday. Sounds like a lot, but my turts really like a well balanced salad everyday. Make sure Bobby has a UVB light, and a much, MUCH bigger area. Get a storage comtainer as big as you can and put him in it. Boxies love to travel. Have a water dish that is about one-two inches tall and twice as wide as he is and the water as deep as he can get his head fully submerged (so he can drink). Clean this out every day, and scrub it once a week. Have the ground cover be compost, potting soil, reptile bedding, even wood chips will work. No SAND OR GRAVEL! Those are really bad for boxies. I think this is a goodly amout of info for you, Kat. Hope Bobby is okay! And, by the way, welcome to the message board!
  • Information