Non eating 1.25\" RES

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
SonicB52
Level 1
Level 1

Hey guys,

I orginially had 2 baby RES turtles that I received as a gift. One looked bad and they both didn\'t eat and the sick one never had it\'s eyes open. After 3 visits to the vet, found from the reptile vet list here, the sick one died. So now I\'m down to 1, 2 months and it still doesn\'t eat and I haven\'t seen it\'s eyes open in 3 weeks. I basically try to put food in it\'s mouth but unsure if it eats it. Sometimes I can bother it enough to get a little bit of reptomin (baby). I\'ve tried this health solution I picked up as well which is more liquid but still it won\'t do anything. Now it seems the shell is softer than before.

Any suggestions?

tank temp = 88-90
water temp = 78-82
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

and yeah what did the vet say?
Last edited by dixieee on Sun Oct 24, 2004 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
SonicB52
Level 1
Level 1

I\'m in Northern VA so the temp has been in the high 50\'s mostly overcast.

I have a clamp lamp with a esu daylight bulb and a uvb florescent bulb. I keep the lights on in the tank for at least 12 hours a day, then at night I switch to the infrared light to keep the temp in the tank the same, 88-90 degrees.

She just said they were dehydrated, but enough of the non helping vet. Any other ideas that might help my RES get some sort of inkling to eat? It looks fine, don\'t see it eye\'s open at all, appears to just hang out all the time but it does move from the water to the basking area.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

then seems it has an eye infection..there is a solution for it but i don\'t know exactly it\'s name..probably u\'ll find it here and i\'ll check it for u and post it\'s name if i find it..the temp\'s seems fine..maybe it isn\'t eating bcz of the infection..for the soft shell part it\'s not something to worry a lot about cz ur RES is still a baby and it is normal to have a soft shell..but not very very soft

try feeding it smelly food like tuna fish or something maybe it\'ll grab the turtle\'s attention since it\'s eyes are closed..
good luck
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

\"wet Q-tip\" i don\'t know what it is exactly but someone used it and said it gave good results..

also check this u\'ll find something for sure http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Care/medeyes.htm
Rudolph
Level 1
Level 1

when my little guy wouldn\'t eat...I boil a chicken breast and put a one inch strip in the tank. He acted totally uninterested...but when I got home from work that night...he had munched away on that chicken.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

I wouldn\'t take a sick turtle out if the temp is in the 50\'s (would take a healthy turtle out either). That \"UVB flourescent tube\"--what brand is it? How long have you been using it? Can your turtle bask under it? (If it\'s more than 12 inches away from your turtle it\'s not helping at all.)
SonicB52
Level 1
Level 1

ESU with desert 7% UVB and it sits 6\" above basking spot. Guess I\'ll try another vet since last night I noticed a red patch on the bottom shell that looked like blood on the inside. :(
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

check the link i gave u again
SonicB52
Level 1
Level 1

Well thought I\'d give an update that \'Lil Fred\' passed away sometime this morning after 2:30am. Took it to a great reptile vet who said it was in bad shape and said it will be a tough battle for it but I wanted to try it. Since it was so weak I think maybe the water filter\'s current bringing it closer to have the water push it under was too much for him, or at least that\'s what I\'m telling myself since at 2:30am I fixed that and put it out of the way of the water filter. That was the first time I saw the bubbles coming out of the nose so.... Started with received a gift of 2 tiny 1.25\" RES\'s that both wouldn\'t eat, 4 trips to a vet, the first 3 doing absolutely nothing, and now I\'m turtle less. :(

Thinking of asking to get another one or two to try again but more of a legal size this time.
yaya
Level 4
Level 4

sorry for what happen :(....the only advice i can tell u is if u still want a turtle,just make ur enclosure all set-up properly so u don\'t have to worry about it when u gonna have ur new(s) turtle(s). and u can still have hatchling,u already more aware of what a sick turtle look like...so when u gonna choose them i\'m sure u gooing to pick the strongest in the load...:)
bonnie_lynn2001
Level 3
Level 3

SORRY FOR THE LOSS BUT FOR ANYONE ELSE W/ THE EYE PROBLEM
I SEEN A EYE WASH/ ANTIBIOTIC IN MY LOCAL PET STORE
MAYBE ASK YOUR PET STORE GUY ABOUT ORDERING IT
SINCE IT IS A PRETTY COMMON PROBLEM
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

i just noticed this topic..i\'m very sorry for what happened to ur guy and i KNOW how u feel..
but i don\'t think eye infections are serious enough to cause death..it must have had something else for sure..my late turtle had an eye infection that i was able to control and everything was ok with his eyes..the prob was with the RI that i couldn\'t do anything about so he passed away

2 turtles are a big loss..sorry
  • Information