RES \"crying\"

Discussions about turtles.
deanna

A few times we\'ve heard our turtles making noise like they\'re crying? Is this possible and why would they do that? We have to turn their light off at night, could that be it? Thanks!
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Strangely, I do remember having heard of people saying their turtles have made such a sound (I haven\'t heard it personally, though, and have seen it mentioned only rarely). Are your turtles healthy (no wheezing, open-mouth breathing, mucus coming from the mouth or nose, tilting in the water)? Assuming they\'re healthy, it was speculated that the sound could be the result of their breath against the side of the tank, but I don\'t know if that was the real cause or not.

Just to be safe, I\'d watch out for any symptoms that would indicate they might be sick (in which case I\'d get them to a herp vet); if they\'re not ill, then I wouldn\'t worry to much about it.
yaya
Level 4
Level 4

did u notice if the turtle make the sound when he/she put the head back in the shell??
cause i know when they are scared and have to go back in their shell real quick,there no room so they have to expulse the air in their lung fast wich make a weird sound almost like a cry...happen to me once and it\'s kind of suprising...:)
rodeo144
Level 3
Level 3

.......all i know is that turtles have no voice boxes and they just hiss. When did you get the turtles and for how long have you had him also what length or age are they?
prettylittlepixie2003
Level 2
Level 2

my turtle makes a hissing/snarling sound...What exactly is the hissing about anyway? does he get mad? b/c he never bites or anything...The crying sound must be heartbreaking :(
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

does it happen regularly? if once every period then it\'s ok but too much hissing is doubtful
prettylittlepixie2003
Level 2
Level 2

My RES rarely makes his strange noises ....He does it mostly when he gets surprised like when i take him out of the tank off guard and not expecting me to handle him.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

that\'s ok he\'s fine
deanna

They seem to be healthy. The first time it happened was when we went on vacation and my son\'s friend watched them for us. Since then it\'s only happened a couple more times, but it does make me sad to think they might be sad.
  • Information