Constant Yawning :(

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
markris17
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, my girlfriend and I bought 2 small Red Ear Slider turtles from the Garment District in LA for $5 each. We had them for about 4 months now. They are healthy. They eat mini shrimp and the green floating pellets. But recently one of our turtles has been yawning constantly and making gasping noises. Also he has convulsions like he needs air, I feel so sorry for him. He looks like he is great pain. We have read from the TURTLE FIRST AID that he might have pneumonia. We dont want him to die. Is there anything we can do for him without going to a vet?
yaya
Level 4
Level 4

quarantine and raise the temp at 80F,but ur turtle sound reel sick,u should go see a vet..he/she can died..
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

this is what my turtle it doing!! that\'s what i called hiccups in my topic..i repeat..is there anything to do without a vet? i already took him out of water and placed him under a lamp for heat..it\'s not that i don\'t have time or don\'t wanna spend money on the vet..it is that we don\'t have a vet for turtles here..they\'re all for cats and dogs only..
PLZ HELP!!
markris17
Level 1
Level 1

the turtle has been yawning for almost 2 weeks now. how much does it usually cost on average for a vet to look at and treat our baby turtle? im a poor college student living off loans :(
Last edited by markris17 on Fri Oct 22, 2004 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

2 weeks is too much

\"Coughing

Yes, turtles do cough! Much like in humans, it indicates some sort of respiratory problem. Underwater, this may look like a convulsive shock through the system or a wide, long yawn witch a twitching of the head. While basking, this might sound like a croaking noise from a frog.

Treatment

Quarantine and raise all temps in the habitat by 5°. Consult a qualified vet as meds will be needed.\"

so the good news is that it may not be as serious as pneumonia
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

The gaping/yawning and gasping are a few of the signs of a respiratory infection, which if not treated is likely to turn into pneumonia, which if not treated is fatal. (Other symptoms include mucus from the mouth or nose, swollen eyes and tilting to one side in the water (a sure sign of pneumonia). If he\'s still eating and active, raising the temps would boost the immune system to hopefully enable him to fight the infection. If you don\'t have one, get a submersible water heater and set the temp on about 83F. The basking area should be around 92F. Keep him out of drafts and breezes; it\'s important that the air in the tank be kept warm, and if the temp is cool at night in the room he\'s in, get a red heat lamp to use at night to keep the air warm. If your turtle isn\'t eating or active and displays the above symptoms, it\'s important that he be kept warm, but he should be taken to the vet for antibiotic. Turtles can decline very quickly without proper treatment, so getting him to a vet ASAP is really important. Fees vary, so it\'s best to call beforehand. You might want to try to find a herp vet at http://www.arav.org/USMembers.htm
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

ok water temp in high when he\'s in..i just put him in for few minutes every 3-4 hours..and the rest of the time he\'s covered with a small towel and under a light bulb..btw do turtles sweat? i think he did yesterday
he\'s been sleeping as far as i\'m concerened but seems he moved at night..still nothing for eating..it\'s been 2 days now

hope everything will be ok soon:(
markris17
Level 1
Level 1

our turtle is very active and eats at every feeding. he only yawns in the morning and at night. i guess he is warm during the day and he seems to only yawn when its cold. we leave a heat lamp on him all day. i hope he can fight the infection. and be healthy again.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

at least he\'s eating:(
that\'s great hope he\'ll be well soon
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Markris17, he needs a submersible water heater and warmth as suggested above constantly. Having him be warm and then cool off will not help him fight the infection and could make it chronic. Read the info at http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Articl ... rizing.htm With cooler weather, it\'s important to keep even healthy turts warm.
markris17
Level 1
Level 1

thx for the link mariza! my girlfriend and I are saving up money to buy it a real tank. we keep both our turtles in a turtle lagoon type thingy.
markris17
Level 1
Level 1

PS. How do you insert an image?
Last edited by markris17 on Sun Oct 24, 2004 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yaya
Level 4
Level 4

that\'s what we call a death bowl:(...get them in a real tank as soon as u can with heater,basking spot ect...if u don\'t have much money the rubbermaid container is a great alternative...and when u transfer them,increase the water level slowly,they might not know how to swim well...hope u sick one get well soon..
markris17
Level 1
Level 1

aww man, \"death bowl\"?? i guess i have to starve myself this week and not buy any food and get that tank ASAP.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

they\'re so cute,,hope he gets well soon..and mine too:(
  • Information