RES and Yellow Belly Sliders as great climbers?

Discussions about turtles.
YellowBelli
Level 1
Level 1

I bought my new baby yellow belly turtle about a week ago, and since then it has climbed up and over everything!

I come into my room to see my baby turtle scaling the basking rock I have set up (even though he has a lovely ramp to go up which I\'ve seen him use lots of times)

Is this normal, I\'m just worried he might fall and do some damage when he\'s \'playing\'?

He\'s only a baby and already he rock climbs!

I know that RES are very very similar to Yellow Belly Sliders, so does anyone know why he\'s so adventurous?

As I type this message, he\'s just lunged himself into the water and landed in a funny position, but get\'s himself out of trouble.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

it\'s ok as long as the water is deep enough so he could get in the right position if he falls..some of those tiny creatures are really monkeys don\'t worry..it\'s cute though:)
my baby female climbs on the couch..it\'s a straight right angle and she can go to the top fine..so it\'s ok:)
Annie3
Level 2
Level 2

I agree with Dixieee. Some turtles are determined to try everything, and as long as the water is deep enough that they can flip back over they will be fine. Of my three, the RES is the climber; it\'s gotten out of the tank 4 times. (And seems to be fine. I\'ve taken corrective measures to keep him in the tank.) The Map turtle climbed to the ledge twice, but stopped there each time. My YBS only climbs to get on the basking ramp.

Watch as they get bigger for continued freedom of movement around objects. I\'m removing items the bigger (growing) turtles can get stuck under, as they will drown if unable to reach the surface.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

good info. annie thanx:)
but still they would like to have some \"cave\" area..currently i don\'t have one so my turtles stick their heads under the rocks
Trailrider
Level 4
Level 4

Mine like to hide in cinderblocks! :D
Annie3
Level 2
Level 2

I agree on the hiding spot/area, dixieee. Two of mine are now too big for the bridge they hid under earlier. I did have plastic plants in the tank, but the first time I saw them biting the plants - out they came. Now they hide behind and in a live plant clump, which doubles as extra food.

Mine are ready for a bigger habitat, and then they will have more hiding spots.
YellowBelli
Level 1
Level 1

He\'s really active and digs away during the night. I\'ll often hear him scraping all the pebble gravel making little ditches to sleep in. Unfortunatly, he\'s not eaten anything since I bought him home. The water temp is about 78 Fahrenheit since he\'s only a babba.

He likes to sleep during the day as well. I\'m concerned that he\'ll die if he doesn\'t eat soon, I\'ve tried veggies and ham/ lots of meat. What could be wrong?
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

\"feed by force\"
lock him up in a small place where he can hardly move and try leave him with some food inside..even if he had to stay for some time he\'ll end up eating the food since nothing else to do..
hope it works
(although didn\'t with me..oops)
YellowBelli
Level 1
Level 1

Since he\'s only a hatchling can\'t he get stressed really easy though?

I\'ve heard that if a turtle gets stressed, it wont eat?

I suppose I\'ll be willing to give anything ago, but he\'s more interested in trying to eat the silicon that seals my tank walls.
Annie3
Level 2
Level 2

Have you tried mini-shrimp? As hatchlings, my turtles favorite food was the mini-shrimp that comes in a 5 in 1 package from Reptomin. If I fed a little of that, even the shyest turtle came bolting to the surface to eat. (Then, they\'d stay and eat the pellets when the small amount of shrimp was gone.)

What was your turtle eating before you got him? If you don\'t know, find out and try that.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

not stressed but just don\'t pamper it a lot..especially if it\'s a guy u don\'t wanna have a spoiled kid ; )
  • Information