Tank water.

Post any questions you have about a turtle indoor setup here. Or if you have a link to your indoor setup picture we would love to see it.
Bjorn
Level 1
Level 1

Hey

I\'m from New Zealand and recenetly purchashed two RES. I got one two weeks ago and another one today infact.

My question, the tank water in their tank is quite mirky, not matter how much we clean it out, we run a PH test, which comes back neutral, but still remains mirky. Will this be ok? Or something to worry about?

Also approximately what age are you able to tell the gender? I have to ring the pet store tomorrow to ask how old they are.

Thanks.

Bjorn
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

do u have a filter? if not then this is what u need..
and for the gender..i read a lot about how hard it is to tell the difference while they are still babies but i think it shows sometimes..when i got my hatchlings they where less than 1\" but still i was able to tell..
usually the male has a more convex shell and a taller tail..wait for a couple of weeks and the one that grows faster is the female..
good luck:)
Annie3
Level 2
Level 2

Bjorn, use plain carbon in that filter. Don\'t let them sell you anything else. Important: rinse the carbon before putting in the filter. Will take about 48 hours to clear, and you\'ll have to change it periodically. To keep my little tank (5 1/2 gallon, all water with a floating platform) clean for 3 baby turtles I change carbon every month.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

and they should be kept in another tank for those 48 hours right?
Annie3
Level 2
Level 2

Turtles can stay in the tank when the water is cloudy - unless it smells really bad, too.

(I forgot to rinse the carbon once, and the tank was REALLY cloudy until I redid the carbon. Didn\'t faze the turtles a bit. )
Bjorn
Level 1
Level 1

Yes I do have a filter. The water doesnt smell though. I do a water change every week or twice a week. So yeah.

Thanks.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

oh ok then it\'s something else when u have to take the turtles out
Trailrider
Level 4
Level 4

Matbe you need a much stronger filter?
Annie3
Level 2
Level 2

Bjorn, other ideas:
1. Did you rinse REALLY WELL any gravel, plants, etc that were put into the tank? Particularly gravel and rocks.

2. When you change the turtle\'s water, are you using some type of conditioner to get any harmful additives out? If so (and only if the water you are using is considered safe for human drinking) put enough water for the next change into a clean (no soap or detergent residue) open topped container and let it sit for 48 hours or more. Then, use that water - with no conditioner - the next time you change the water.

3. Live plants shed. Pull out any live plants until the problem is solved. They will only make matters worse.

4. I\'ll echo the stronger filter thought. With carbon (well rinsed!).

Let us know how the battle goes - it feels really good when you find the problem/solution and the water clears!
Bjorn
Level 1
Level 1

Well my tank is nice and clear now. About a week ago, I took out all the gravel and washed it all and washed the carbon filter out also.

Its clear ever since.

Annie3 - I do use conditioner when do a water change.

Thanks for all your help.

-Bjorn, NZ
  • Information