aggressive turtle!

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

ok now this is turning to be a problem..my female turtle is getting very aggressive..they were the same size when i first got them and now she\'s growing faster than he does..she\'s about 1.5X his size and really eats a lot so i had to put her on a diet(feed her only veggies and a pellet every other day)..she started biting my fingers and now she pushes the little guy and throws him from his basking area(which is a small turtle figure he likes to sleep on)..i don\'t want to seperate them unless it is really serious and there is no solution but what can i do now? she\'s in a seperate small tank (punished) and will be grounded for a couple of days..
my little guy calls for help!
Trailrider
Level 4
Level 4

I love it! First people starve their turts so they\'ll eat their veggies, then they ground them! Ha ha ha! I just keeps getting better!

My advice, keep \'um apart, now is the time they go their seperate ways.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

i know they\'ll feel lonely:(
i don\'t have room for two tanks so she\'ll stay in the smaller one till she gets back her manners
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

r all females like that? ; )
Annie3
Level 2
Level 2

Dixiee, does your bigger turtle hog the food/keep the smaller one from it? I\'m having that problem with my yellow belly slider - to the point that it ingests several pellets at a time - and can\'t chew them then....

I\'m going to start separating them at feeding time only - and see if that calms Franklin (the gulper) down. I noticed that all 3 turtles are eating more since the weather shifted (I\'m in Illinois). Their last live plant/food supplement was torn apart and eaten within a week. The prior plant lasted almost 2 months.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

wow good diet..yeah she is..actually she used to do it when i put food but she\'s been doing it the whole time..maybe in search for food..is it a female? ur turtle...
Trailrider
Level 4
Level 4

I don\'t think I agree with the no turtles for kids, get a dog thing. Dogs take a lot, if not more, responsibility. I think bunnies are good little kid pets, so long as they\'re not ruff with them. :)
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

if old dogs i think it\'s ok but for sure not puppies..old dogs might help in raising them..of course not teaching them manners! but other things..
Trailrider
Level 4
Level 4

Yeah, a family dog is great for a kid. I just really think no little little kid should get a pet.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

never get a cat when u have a baby especially if the cat was there before..they become jelous and will try to harm the baby
Annie3
Level 2
Level 2

A bit of explanation on my little kids/no turtles quote. First of all, any pets purchased for small children become the responsibility of the parent. Unfortunately, some parents don\'t watch their kids around the pets. Turtles are pretty helpless (especially the baby ones most parents/kids like to buy), but a puppy will nip or bark if hurt/abused. It will bark if it doesn\'t have food or water. That\'s a warning to the kid AND the parent that something is wrong. A good parent corrects the problem, whatever it is. A poor parent - well, they shouldn\'t have any living creature.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

yes they are helpless:(
  • Information