Hello...

Discussions about turtles.
Mouskawitz

I\'m a new owner of 2 young sliders...

I\'ve noticed that they haven\'t been eating. I purchased these turtles in Mexico. They were eating on the trip home, but aren\'t now. Should I be worried or should I just wait a week or so and continue to try and feed them? Could they just be adjusting to the move and surroundings?

The food I have is Wardley\'s Turtle Delite (100% dried whole shrimp), could they also be tired of the same food?

One more fact is that I haven\'t purchased a heater and the water get\'s a little cool at times (until I warm it up). Could that be confusing them as well?

PLEASE HELP... and look forward to my many ?\'s ... :)

Thanks..

M~
yaya
Level 4
Level 4

i don\'t know where u live but those turtles are probably use to hot weather(u said u buy them in mexico)and i know when is getting too cold they have tendency to hibernate so maybe it\'s cause u don\'t have a heater...i will buy one right away if i was u...
Trailrider
Level 4
Level 4

Get a heater, and feed more and more vehhies as they get older. :D

P.S. Welcome!
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

yeah seems temperature changes confused them..try to keep the temp. stable and feed them different things from time to time..good luck with them:)
Mouskawitz

What does a heater usually cost?

Are there different sizes?
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

there are different sizes for sure but about the cost i don\'t know
Annie3
Level 2
Level 2

Get a heater based on the size of container/amount of water in it. Heaters usually go by watts. One that is totally submerisible and doesn\'t have a glass tube is best.

IMPORTANT: regulate it w/out the turtles in the tank/container. Put them somewhere else for a 12 hour period. Watch the temperature closely. You don\'t want the temp to zoom (had one of mine hit 92 before I caught it) with the turtles in the tank.

Cost depends on where you buy the heater. Have seen the same brand low-watt heater run from $19.95 - 39.95 where I live. Better ones/larger watts will be higher.
Trailrider
Level 4
Level 4

Annie3, are you the same person as plain Annie?
  • Information