TANK SIZE OK?

Discussions about turtles.
KELLY
Level 2
Level 2

I have a 75 gallon aquarium with 2 res turtles in it. one male is 3 1/2\" wide the other male is about 4 1/2\" wide. They get along well enough but they constantly stroke each others faces with their front claws. They are definitly both males. Is this behavior a sign of dominance? the smaller turtle is the one who instigates it and sometimes the bigger one responds back. The bigger one does not seem scared or bullied by other but i am wondering if this constant bothering is causing emotional stress? They are both healthy and eating ok. should i seperate or is a 75 gallon big enough for 2?
Bbasso
Level 3
Level 3

75 is plenty for just two turtles.

My three guys walk all over each other, never had any issues...
Trailrider
Level 4
Level 4

I say they want a girl friend, lol :p
ehb90
Level 2
Level 2

yes i agree the tank is big enoug for your turtles. they are probably just playing.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

As a guide, you should allow 10 gallons of tank per inch of shell LENGTH, not width. If your turtles are 3.5 inches and 4.5 inches wide, they must be longer. If, for example, their lengths were about 5 and 6 inches, they should ideally be in something like a 110-gallon tank/container. RES can be aggressive, especially if the size of their habitat is inadequate. What you\'re seeing could very well be a display of dominance (you didn\'t say how old they were). Two males are more apt to fight than other types of pairings. And, such an environment is likely to cause stress, as you noted.

I think they need a bigger tank/container. Until you can get one, if you haven\'t done so, maximize the space they do have (if the basking area is made of rocks, which take up space, change it to one that allows for swimming room underneath it. Break up their sight lines with plants, etc. so they don\'t have to look at each other (and can get away from each other if need be). If you keep them as they are and the behavior escalates, they\'ll need to be separated so one doesn\'t get hurt.
Trailrider
Level 4
Level 4

I STILL think they need a girlfriend, :D lol
Mouskawitz

My sliders have a 10 gallon tank to play around in... I think that\'s just fine..

Right?
yaya
Level 4
Level 4

Mouskawitz wrote:
My sliders have a 10 gallon tank to play around in... I think that\'s just fine..

Right?
look at Mariza\'s answer in the same topic.the way u talk u have more then one in ur 10 gallons,and i bet they bigger then 1/2 inch each...so ur fishtank is already too small..i just have 1 female of 4 1/2 inch in a 33 gallon and i\'m looking for a bigger tank cause it\'s already too small for her.the way i see it bigger tank u buy,better it is cause ur turtle s\'gonna grow and u gonna have to upgrade anyhow...
Trailrider
Level 4
Level 4

I\'m going ot get a softie hatcher. I hope. :) I have a ten gallon, (and I want a hatchling) but I need to find a twenty+ submerable filter for it. And, I want ot get one of those little basking ramps. How much do small UVB lights ussually run? Thanks!
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

yay ur getting a baby turtle:)
Trailrider
Level 4
Level 4

I hope..gotta clear it with my mom first, and everyone knows how they can be, lol :D (no offence)
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

i just noticed the other posts in this topic..then is aggressiveness a sign of discomfort? my female turtle started biting yesterday
Trailrider
Level 4
Level 4

Ouch! Biting turts are no fun!
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

still soft bites that i don\'t mind but i don\'t want her to get used to it
Annie3
Level 2
Level 2

Is she biting you or another turtle? If another turtle, is there a wound after the bite?

Two of mine started to \"nip\", but seem to have stopped after I increased food and they discovered the live plant is good to eat. Think they were \"warning\" each other away from food they wanted. No skin broken, no crushed legs, just a little warning. And afterwards, they\'d all pile peacefully in a heap on the basking raft.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

no she didn\'t bite the other one..she just threw him off his basking rocks..and not to get on..just because of her bad manners..i don\'t want to increase the food cz she\'s already getting chubby
she bites my finger and anything that comes above the tank
Annie3
Level 2
Level 2

Dixieee, how do you feed them? Drop food into the tank? Put it in a container and set it in? Maybe she associates anything above the tank with food?

Mine never know what uncovering the tank means. Sometimes it\'s a new plant, sometimes removal of a turtle (shell check), sometimes cleaning time. They know the two general times they get fed, and get a bit wilder at those times of day. I just assume that as they get bigger it will not be a good idea at those times to put my fingers too close to their heads......have no idea how their eyesight it!
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

yes i drop the food into the tank..she doesn\'t eat when i put her in a seperate tank for feeding,,she keeps trying to escape rather than eating..there\'s no way i could control her feeding hours..sometimes i have to leave home for many hours so i put some leaves in to make sure they won\'t starve..she eats them all at once..she has double chins now!

thanx annie:)
  • Information