Soft shell turtle problem

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
dracowalyo

Hello, I own a soft shell turtle who I love to pieces. But something strange has been happening. There are these pock marks showing up on her shell. At first I thought she had just run into something in the aquarium. She isn\'t very graceful. But now I am noticing more of them. There is a placostomus in the tank with her as well as other fish. She gets along with the other fish fine, but I wonder if the placo is sucking on her shell or if there may be some microbial factor at work. HELP!!!!
Trailrider
Level 4
Level 4

I wish I could, but I don\'t know a thing about softshells. :( By the way, was your very $$$?
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

me too i know nothing about them..but why don\'t u try some sites like www.austinsturtlepage.com
go to the care sheet and figure it out..good luck:)
deesygirl

Soft shells, while wonderfuls pets, can be difficult. The tank setup is very important. Could you tell us a little bit about yours? I am mostly interesteed in what type of substrate you use. Soft shells need either very fine sand or active silt in order for them to bury themselves. This must be kept very clean and replaced every three months. If you use other substrates your SS can develope sores. The sores you describe sound like they could be SCUD, these are ulcers and will need to be treated with an antibiotic by a vet. If treated early your turtle has a chance for a complete recovery.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

yeah try to find it out ASAP cz shell and skin diseases might take a long time b4 everything looks normal again ALTHOUGH it is cured..
Trailrider
Level 4
Level 4

So softies aren\'t the recomended turtle?
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

u have a good experience with turtles..why not expand it:)
Last edited by dixieee on Sat Oct 16, 2004 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Trailrider
Level 4
Level 4

GARG! i\'M GOING OT GAT A SOFT SHELL IF IT\'S THE LAST THING I DO!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Information