All my babies die :(

Discussions about turtles.
HeatherPlaceRescue
Level 1
Level 1

I\'ve had 3 baby turtles in the last 6 months. All from 3 different pet store. My first was a baby res, second and third were small painted. Every one died about 2 weeks after I got them. I bought a turtle tank that included a heater, water detoxifers, heat light, uv light, almost everything. I set up the tank about 3 days before I got each turtle. I had ramps, rocks for them, made sure the temp. was right, everything. They all died. They were all healthy when I got them, eating good, but then they just stopped eating. I took one of the painted to the vet, and all they could tell me is that sometimes they are stubborn and gave me a syringe thing to try and pry their mouths open to feed them but I could never get it in their mouths. I an albino res at a petstore I seen, but I dont want to kill it if I bring it home, is there anything else I should know?
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

they should\'ve showed u how to use that feeding thing..this is so sad i don\'t know what\'s the prob.
:(
Trailrider
Level 4
Level 4

Oh! That horrible! :(
slidersroc
Level 3
Level 3

what was the temp of your tank and everything like that?
Trailrider
Level 4
Level 4

Trailrider wrote:
Oh! That horrible! :(
It\'s still HORRIBLE!!!
HeatherPlaceRescue
Level 1
Level 1

The tank temp was 76 degrees in the water, and I had a 40watt basking lamp on the side with the land. I have 3 temp gauges because I kept thinking that the temp was the problem. I asked the vet, he said 76 is good. I\'m lost on what I do wrong, they all were eating good for a while, then they just stop. I was feeding them pellets, shrimp, guppies, veggies, I tried cooked meats, fruits, nothing would make them eat. I tried getting that Nutra-cal gel in their mouths with the syringe but I could never get them to open up. I always found them dead at the bottom of the tank.
Trailrider
Level 4
Level 4

You have 3 ferrets! I LOVE ferrets!!!! :)
yaya
Level 4
Level 4

when u said u set-up the tank 3 days before put in the turte,did u wash ur tank with any kind of product like soap?(cause it\'s really not good!) and did u clean it well in between each turtle?maybe the 1st one had something that the 2 other one caught in ur fish tank? hope u find the reason,must be really sad to loose 3 turtle so fast!!
Trailrider
Level 4
Level 4

This certainly is a mystery!

Before you get another turtle, try an old trick to help find the problem. Fill the tank with water, let it age (or use the tablets to make the water safe), then put a few feeder guppies in the tank. If the guppies die right away (or within a few days), the problem is probably something in your tank. In that case you\'ll have to tear the tank down and sterilize everything. No bleach or detergents; use a salt solution and rinse everything VERY WELL. Then, set it up again and put new guppies back in. If the guppies survive, take the water level down and get another turtle. A lot of work, but better than another dead baby turtle!

Annie (guest)
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

the tank is cursed,lol
Trailrider
Level 4
Level 4

We need Sherlock Holmes!
  • Information