They Wont Eat Their Veggies!

Discussions about turtles.
HeatherPlaceRescue
Level 1
Level 1

My boyfriend has had a painted turtle and a common snapper for about 8 years now. They\'ve always grown up on eating goldfish. Once I came along and switched their diet to minnows, chicken liver, dry cat food, and turtle pellets, I read they should both be eating a lot of veggies as well. I\'ve tried different types of leafy lettuce, fruits, and they wont touch it. I know they need the vitamins from it, do you have any ideas on how to get them to eat it?
Stoshie
Level 3
Level 3

I got mine to eat veggies by mixing chopped veggies with chopped chicken and other things they liked. I slowly decreased the meat and added more veggies and now they eat any kind of veggies that I give them.
Trailrider
Level 4
Level 4

Sounds good to me! (the chopped chicken/veggie salad, I mean) :) lol
slidersroc
Level 3
Level 3

i got mine to eat by not feeding them for a few days then trying and then waiting again, it sounds mean but i call it tough love (when you feed them, it would help if you diddnt feed meat until they started eating veggies b/c they learn they can eat only meat)
Trailrider
Level 4
Level 4

That\'s horrible, too!!! Stave your turtles and MAYBE they\'ll eat! :), just a joke* :)
Bbasso
Level 3
Level 3

Try some sweet fruit, like strawberrys or cantalope, My guys love it. After a few times eating the sweet stuff he\'ll like other veggies or fruit.
Trailrider
Level 4
Level 4

Huh, might work!
  • Information