i baught a abused turtle... NEED HELP!?!?!?!

Discussions about turtles.
gotmilk_no1

I was ready to cry. I was in murtle beach and a there is a store right next to a bargan store and they had 57 turtles in a SMALL tank, NO FILTER, one rock, DURTY water, and the turtles had what is called soft-shel sickness. that is where the suplied above space is too small for the amount of turtles in the water and the shel startes to rot out and soften. Then the turtle gets tired and doesnt like to move, they can die that way.
So I asked if they were selling them andn they said a limit of 2 per person. So, i got 2.
The female\'s name is \"Lochie.\" It was named after the Loch Ness Monster in lake Augestus in Scottland. Lochie is perfectly healthy and doing great.
The males name is \"Keller.\" He is like 7-8 centameters long... I thought that something relating to Killer would be appropret. Anyway, he is sick. he got the \"Soft-Shels,\" and so far all i have done was lowered its water, raised the tempiture by makeing the heating lamp stronger, and gave it more area to dry out in.
im new at thins turtle thing and needs LOTS OF HELP AND TIPS,PLEASE HELP ME.

THNAK-YA,
Rebecca
l8or g8or

Last edited by l8or g8or on Sat Jun 08, 2002 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
l8or g8or

Sorry, that should have read....

**A place where a single breed of dog is raised in UNNACCEPTABLE conditions and puppies are always available;
spraggsbraydon2
Level 3
Level 3

well,number one,i take ofence to that as a turtle breeder,lol just kidding.but seriously,lets think about the present.buy yhose turtles and get your friends to buy them to.you are saving lives.then report this to the spca,it is a crime crualty to animals.i have the spca sniffing up my butt all the time because i am a breeder and only 14 years old.so ya.you could also vollenterr at that store and teach the staff about turtle care.at the pet store i go to the haddnt a clue on turtle care until i started working there.they are a exotics store and dont got a clue on exotic animals.thanks to my volonteer work i taught the staff how to care for reptiles and amphibians and am now getting a full paycheck every 2 weeks.
noeylani
Level 1
Level 1

Maybe I missed something, but I did\'nt hear anyone give her any advice on her problem at hand....

Here are a couple of ideas that may help...

sometimes the shells on baby sliders are soft to begin with. As they get older they harden up. Make sure your tank is large enough. My turtle would not bask until I got him a large enough tank (mine is 40 gallons) Also, make sure their diet is varied (greens, meat,turtle food), and give them baby crickets with calcium and vitamin powder (I give them to my turtle at least 1x per week), have the right uvb lighting, filtration,heater and basking spot with a basking light, and they should be fine. If your \"sick\" turtle does not show any signs of improvement then take him to a vet.

Good luck.
l8or g8or

B - I was supporting reputable breeders 100% and I think from all your posts that I have read you ARE a reputable breeder, and care a great deal about your turtles. As far as the advice, I didn\'t give any because I haven\'t had to deal with soft shell. Great advice, both of you - and I hope the little ones rally through this with flying colors, because they deserve it!!
spraggsbraydon2
Level 3
Level 3

soft shell:calcium block,75-100 basking light,8.0 uv (zoo med works best),and a vet.
spraggsbraydon2
Level 3
Level 3

www.geocities.com/redslidetank
my site has much info on equiptment and a message board to post your questions (follow the links)
  • Information