getting 3 baby res

Discussions about turtles.
newmom

I have just purchased 3 res turtles and I need any acvice I can get on care and habitat. If you could tell what is definitely necessary and then what would be nice extras. Also I live in CT could I sterlize rocks from my back yard to put in tank?
ehb90
Level 2
Level 2

Well.. the general rule I have seen on most web sites is at least 10 gallons for each inch per turtle. Your turtles will need a basking area. It could be a large rock or an area of gravel, as long as all the turtles can have a place where they can get completely out of the water. Directly over this basking area, you will need to place a basking lamp (I use a clamp lamp from pet smart). I would start the water off pretty shallow (about as deep as your turtles are long, possibly a little deeper) and then gradually ad water as your turtles begin to learn to swim. Make sure you give them each enough pellets to fit into their head. Also, make sure the water is dechlorinated. I recommend getting dechlorinating drops from your local pet store. Also, check the care sheets on this site. They have very valuable information. Have fun with your babies! I have a baby RES too and they\'re so much fun! If you have any more questions, don\'t hesitate to ask. People on this site are very informative!
Trailrider
Level 4
Level 4

Read what I posted on the other one you made, Newmom. It\'s kinda the same but..you might as well give it a look. :)
newmom

ehb90 wrote:
Well.. the general rule I have seen on most web sites is at least 10 gallons for each inch per turtle. Your turtles will need a basking area. It could be a large rock or an area of gravel, as long as all the turtles can have a place where they can get completely out of the water. Directly over this basking area, you will need to place a basking lamp (I use a clamp lamp from pet smart). I would start the water off pretty shallow (about as deep as your turtles are long, possibly a little deeper) and then gradually ad water as your turtles begin to learn to swim. Make sure you give them each enough pellets to fit into their head. Also, make sure the water is dechlorinated. I recommend getting dechlorinating drops from your local pet store. Also, check the care sheets on this site. They have very valuable information. Have fun with your babies! I have a baby RES too and they\'re so much fun! If you have any more questions, don\'t hesitate to ask. People on this site are very informative!
newmom

ehb90 wrote:
mailboxck
Level 1
Level 1

The water needs to be as deep as the turtle is long? Isn\'t that too deep? I just put enough water so my lil turtle is floating a lil. He\'s my first ever tutle and he\'s a \"long tail\" turtle. That\'s what most people call that kind of turtle here but still haven\'t found any info on the net yet about him.

My turtle is kinda weird, i always give him 3 of his turtle pellets and he eats them in less than a minute. Then when he is done eating, around 30 secs after, around 1 or 2 of those pellets that he ate comes out the other end! Then he eats them again! Is this normal?
Trailrider
Level 4
Level 4

That is realy wierd!
ehb90
Level 2
Level 2

it needs to be as deep as the turtle is long so that the turtle can right itself up if it falls on its back.
mailboxck
Level 1
Level 1

Just made my turtle\'s water deeper and he is a lot better! He doesn\'t act so weird anymore and is a bit more relaxed. Thanks guys!
Trailrider
Level 4
Level 4

Newmom, how are your turtles now?
  • Information