Please Help

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
moxie
Level 2
Level 2

I have a baby painted turtle (born 5/04). I found him at our lake home coming out of the sand. So far he has grown and has been eating like a pig. In the last month, he has stopped eating and sleeps all the time. He sleeps a whole day on his basking platform. Even when he goes for a swim, he swims with his eyes closed or he goes to the bottom of the tank and sleeps. I have taken him to the vet and she said he is to little to draw blood and do any tests. She told me to keep his water warm and keep weighing him to see that he doesn\'t loose weight? (He\'s 31 grams) Basically she told me nothing. $69.00 later...he is not eating. I have tried boiled chicken, sardines, other smelly fish,crickets, mealworms etc. He sometimes looks as if he wants to eat, he takes one bite (mostly the chicken) and that\'s it. He used to love crickets, now he looks at them as if they are foreign objects. My question is.....is he trying to hibernate?? I was told not to hibernate him because he is too young. Has anyone had this experience? His eyes look like they have a third eyelid over them at times. When I take him out of the tank he perks up and walks around. The Dr. said he looks lively and healthy? What else should I do? Is there another Dr that gives advice on line? I live in Minnesota. Is there a better vet here then the one I went to? (Cedar Animal Hosp)??? Should I treat him as if he has an ailment. If so, with what?

I have 2 very healty RES (of course in a separate tank) so I am not a turtle newbie. I have all the required tank, filters, lights etc that is needed. I feel so helpless. I hope he is not in any distress. Should I just let him sleep? Please help!!
Thanks so much, any advice would make me feel not so alone on this matter.
Cheers
Trailrider
Level 4
Level 4

:( I have never heard of this kind of thing before. Maybe a stomach ache or something? Maybe he is trying to hybernate himself? I don\'t know.............:(
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

If you want to find another vet just in case you feel you need one, try www.arav.org.USMembers.htm or www.austinsturtlepage.com/Care/vetlisting.htm
Last edited by mariza on Wed Sep 29, 2004 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
moxie
Level 2
Level 2

I believe it might be a respiratory infection?
My water temp. prior to my turtle exhibiting this behavior was cooler then it is now. I think it might have dropped down to 60 F.
Could this have made him think hybernation time was coming??

The basking area is always around 85 F. Now I have a heater in the tank and the water is at a constant 75 F.

I thouht that painted turtles tolerated cooler water.

I really don\'t know what else to do other than treat him with a Sulfa Dip??? Or try to give him Fluker\'s Repta - Aid? Have you ever used any of these products?

I checked out the Vets on one of the web-sites. I actually went to one of them listed. I might bring him back. ???

OY!

I love this little guy and hope it\'s just a normal hybernating thing.

Thanks again.
  • Information