contradictions?!!

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

i know it\'s normal for 2 turtles to have different \"personalities\" but mine are showing complete contradictions that i\'m worried about..my female turtle is active,she likes playing and swimming a lot, and recently (since a couple of days) she doesn\'t get on her basking rock,she sleeps in the water instead,she eats pretty well any kind of food(vegetables, cornflakes, dates, glucose biscuits, and the pellets,,well if any isn\'t suitable just let me know).my other turtle is always sleeping..i wake him up to eat and he eats only tiny bits of the pellets(he doesn\'t even finish one),some pieces of bread and cucumber.it seems that he hates water cz he never swims and when i force him to swim he gets crazy(makes fast movements and hits his head with anything)..my 2 RES\'s are still babies but none of them liked fish or chicken..
what could the problem be?
thanx
yaya
Level 4
Level 4

i don\'t know much about turtle but for what i read ur little guy sound sick...cause in some other topic the way they talk is like u describ the first sign of sickness...maybe u should look in this site or this other site: www.austinsturtlepage.com for different sign of sickness like reddhish skin or soft shell ect...i hope it can help u...
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

thanx for ur reply..
well i had a look at the Recommendations for Turtles not eating and i\'ll try these methods..but i\'m still worried about his health..none of the mentioned diseases appear on him..is it a normal thing?
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

ok i\'m getting really worried now..he\'s been asleep since morning and he\'s not eating..he woke up for few minutes and got back to sleep..i took him out of water and covered him with a blanket until i can do something..
can anyone plz help? it really breaks my heart to see him like this:(
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

I wouldn\'t feed cornflakes, glucose biscuits or bread...

What is the temp of the water and basking area? For a healthy hatchling, 78F would be good and and basking area somewhere in the range of 85-90F would be OK.

Do you have a submersible water heater for your turtles? If the temp isn\'t as above, get one. Since your turtle appears to be sick, you need to increase the water temp to around 81-82F and the basking area to around 92F to boost your turtle\'s immune system to fight any infection.

If you live in a state where the weather is getting cooler with autumn approaching, you have to winterize your turtles\' tank so they don\'t get respirtory infections or worse.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

ok thanx i just thought they would like to have some desserts :s
anyways i don\'t live in the U.S..the area i live in is really hot(39-43c) and their basking area is about 29-31c..i think what they need is a cooler not a heater.lol
he ate in the morning and seemed to get better after last night..
thanx for ur help everyone:)
Trailrider
Level 4
Level 4

I\'m glad he is eating. ;)
  • Information