Question about tank size

Post any questions you have about a turtle indoor setup here. Or if you have a link to your indoor setup picture we would love to see it.
goatsmilk

depending on this answer to this question, I will be getting a medium to full grown RES. (the one I want it probably...5-6 inches from bottom of shell to top) My tank size is 12 gallons. There is enough room for him to turn around and stuff, and I will be looking into getting a bigger tank within the next couple of months, so my question is, is 12 gallons enough to keep a turtle in for a couple months? or should I just wait until I get a bigger tank?

note: turtles are hard to come by here, so I may not have another oppertunity
Trailrider
Level 4
Level 4

5-6 inches? If it\'s only for a few months I geuss that would be okay.........He really should have a 50-100+ gallon but..........If this is all you got.................
ehb90
Level 2
Level 2

12 gallons is definitely way to small for your turtle. If you\'re on a tight budget, consider shopping at discount stores.. also i have heard that large rubbermaid containers can serve as temporary tanks.
there is a great site www.glasscages.com that has large aquariums for pretty reasonable prices. Whatever you do, you need to get that turtle out of that 12 gallon tank and into something larger as soon as you can.
slidersroc
Level 3
Level 3

WAY too small, a propar size tank for him would be a 50-60 gallon tank, i second the rubbermaid idea if your going to get a bigger tank later.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Or just wait and get a turtle after you already have the bigger tank/container. (Get the biggest you can.)
Trailrider
Level 4
Level 4

I\'m going to get a container for my baby RES for the winter.
  • Information