Sore On My Turtle

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
Jade

Hey, I have a question. I have a baby red ear slider turtle that I got from the pet store, I have had him for about...2 months. He is about the size of a 50 cent piece. Well today when I was cleaning out his bowl (on of those island bowl things), I noticed he had a sore on his neck. I have never see it before & I never saw it on my other slider that I have had for 2 years. I\'m not for sure what it is & I am wondering if it something I should be getting some kind of medicine for him or if it will go away as long as I keep him feed & EXTRA clean. Can anyone help?
Trailrider
Level 4
Level 4

A sore? Like how? What does it look like? Is is big? Did it come over night or has it been getting bigger? I need details! lol :)
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Please get your turtle out of that death bowl ( see http://www.chelonia.org/Articles/deathbowls.htm for why) and into a proper tank.

Where on the neck is the sore? Is it open and is discharge coming out or is it closed and a lump?
Jade

As for the bowl, I grew my first turtle in it (I have had Nero for 2 years now) & he is doing ok, I had to put him in a bigger tank cause he kept getting out of it. But I can\'t get anything else that would be better for Squirtal. I don\'t have the money for it either.
Last edited by Jade on Mon Sep 27, 2004 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trailrider
Level 4
Level 4

Teen turtles with zits..........:) lol
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

By \"on his neck\" do you mean the area near the back of his red streak? Does the \"zit\" seem to be getting bigger? It possibly could be an ear abcess. If so, it should be lanced and drained by a herp vet and your turtle should be given antibiotics to fight the infection, which it is what is the result of (often caused by unclean water/living conditions). Look at the pic of an ear abcess here http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Care/medeyes.htm Does it look anything like that?
Last edited by mariza on Wed Sep 29, 2004 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Information