Hibernating?

Discussions about turtles.
TurtleRex

Hi
I have two juvenile box turtles (1st summer) and I am concerned because they have not eaten in 3 weeks. They ate very well before, but it has been rainy and the nights have been cool the last few weeks. The day temps have been in the 80s lately so I don\'t know what I should do. They have slowed down a bit, but they still come out to sit in their water dish. I have offered them a variety of veg, fruits, and worms but nothing works. Should they hibernate early if they stop eating. I appreciate any advise I can get.

2 box turtles--Moses T. Rex & Roses T. Rex
Trailrider
Level 4
Level 4

That was exactly what happened to my Box turtles and that was when I had no idea what to do. They wouldn\'t eat or anything (and mine still sat in their water too). What I did is I put them in a small container that had LOTS (like ten or more inchs) of dirt in it. They just dug right down, I set them in a covered area in the backyard (because part of my house is completely covered) and I didn\'t see them till April. Then they were HUN-G-RY!! They each ate like 40 crickets and lots of lettace and stuff. Hope tghis helps!
TurtleRex

One of the turtles took a few bites of food this morning, not sure which one. Thanks for the info, I\'ll give it another week to see how much they eat. Until then, I\'ll keep Moses and Rose well hydrated.
  • Information