Clamp-Lamps

Post any questions you have about a turtle indoor setup here. Or if you have a link to your indoor setup picture we would love to see it.
SonicB52
Level 1
Level 1

Hey guys,

What\'s a good clamp-lamp and bulb to get for a RES? Anyone have any suggestions on which ones work the best? I don\'t seem to be able to get the temp high enough with the fluker\'s 5.5 clamp-lamp and either the zoo-med daylight blue or the esu daylight heat lamp (both 60 watts).
rodeo144
Level 3
Level 3

uuuhhhh no idea just get what the dudes at the store reccommend. Ask what bulbs to get for a turtle and what kind of clip lamp to et
Stoshie
Level 3
Level 3

I am not sure what model lamp that I have, but it is a fluker\'s clamp lamp. It can be used with a 75 watt bulb. I use this with a regular 75 watt household bulb. It seems to keep the basking area at just about 88 degrees.
slidersroc
Level 3
Level 3

i use a metal \"cone\" shaped one.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

I\'ve bought clamp lamps a Home Depot for $4.99 each; they have ceramic sockets and can be used with high wattages if necessary. I don\'t think the clamp lamp is the cause of your not getting the temp high enough. Either change the wattage or raise the basking area closer to the bulb to get the desired temp (basking area should be 85-90F, and some turtles have preferences for the lower or higher end of the range). Does your turtle have a UVB light as well. They\'re flourescent and don\'t give off heat. Your turtle needs both for the health of his shell. The UVB light should be no more than 12 inches away from your basking turtle, and 6-8 inches is best.
  • Information