Soft Shell--how soft?

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
sohcahtoa
Level 1
Level 1

How soft does a shell have to be to be soft shell disease? Are there any other symptoms?

I recently got a baby RES, and it looks like it\'s in great condition. It swims a lot, eats regularly, and basks in the sun. However, when I softly pushed down on its shell, it seemed springy/bouncy. Is that normal, or should I be concerned? The shell looks fine otherwise.
Spykesmom
Level 1
Level 1

Don\'t forget that there\'s a soft little body beneath that shell and that might be what\'s making you feel a \"bounce\" or \"spring\" when you push down. Feel the shell with your fingernail, tap on it, lightly scratch over it. Does THAT feel soft? If so you might have a problem. Otherwise, if the turtle is acting fine, eating well, swimming etc. he/she is probably OK. Just like human babies having soft skulls when they\'re infants, a turtle\'s shell needs to develop and strengthen also.
rodeo144
Level 3
Level 3

Remmember his shell is a bone and like a normal babys bone his is soft and crtilidge like dont worry softshell is kind of like spots. Ive seen them on my sun turtle and they have healed drastically
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

The shell doesn\'t really harden until around a year of age. A hatchling\'s shell may have some \"give\" to it, but it should still be basically firm to the touch, not like the softness you\'d feel if you pressed on a dinner roll.

If you\'re concerned about your turtle\'s shell, make sure your turtle gets ample calcium in his diet as well as enough Vit D3 (he needs a UVB light for him to make it). Metabolic bone disease/soft shell disease is a major killer of young aquatic turtles.
  • Information