Do RES like rain? P.S. A lot?

Discussions about turtles.
Trailrider
Level 4
Level 4

It is almost monsune season, so do RES mind the rain, I mean, they were out in it last year and seemed to do fine. And will they die if the top of their pond freezes over (I breack it up but is it too cold?)? Help!!!
:(
:)

-Kim
Spykesmom
Level 1
Level 1

How old are the turtles? Were they out in the pond last winter?

If you think about it, these turtles, when they\'re not pets, are subjected to all of these environmental elements and have the great ability to adapt. Water turtles sink themselves into the mud at the bottom of ponds, their breathing stops and they hibernate.

Personally, though, I wouldn\'t let my pet turtles brave the winters and would bring them in. Experts will tell you, however, that allowing turtles to go through their \"normal\" life cycles of hibernating naturally helps them live longer lives. It\'s just too scary for me to think about leaving my \"babies\" out for the winter. I bring my boxie in every year and put her in a big rubbermade container filled with dirt and she \"hibernates\" in my house, coming out maybe once a week for water and a bite to eat.
Trailrider
Level 4
Level 4

Thanks, Spykesmom! Yes, they were out in it last year. Do I have to break the ice at the top of the pond so they can breathe?!!!!!!!!!!!! :(

-Kim
  • Information